overzealous mods?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ignore the part in the quote... see EDIT below for reason...

I said:
I replied to a post earlier where a MOD had popped in and told the poster that he shouldn't be "advertising" his big pile of rubble which he was giving away free...

I simply asked if asking if someone wanted some free rubble was indeed classed as free advertising?

someone else had also already posted that since the MOD decided it was free advertising that the OP ought to contact a community group dedicated to recycling free stuff to the people who wanted it.. didn't even post the name of the group, just hinted at it's name.. a non profit group at that...

this post has also been deleted...

I've posted again in that thread asking politely why the posts were deleted and I fully expect that this post will also disappear...

if they don't want us to post in a topic that has been summarily judged to be against the rules, then lock it or delete the original post..

could we also please see if they could at least PM the people who's posts have been deleted with an explanation of why?

it's a pity that they don't have to put a reason in when deleting a post..
it could be integrated into the forum software..
delete or edit someones post, you have to put in a reason and the person is automatically PM'd.. lock or delete a whole thread and everyone who posted to it gets the PM with the reason why...

EDIT: nevermind, and my apologies...

I didn't realise he had posted the same message in 2 different forums.. it was the other one we replied to..

the rest of the rant still hold true though.. there is no accountability..

Sponsored Links
did the original poster have lots of free rubble or just a one off? hardly advertising if just wanted rid of a single pile and it was free!
and yes I have to agree Mods are getting too heavyhanded with the delete button just lately
if it is offensive, not relevant to the original post, blatant advertising etc. then yes lock or edit the post but on this and several occassions lately there appears to be no valid reasoning for deleting posts

Hi ColJack :D

There is accountability, records of removed posts are kept, and any complaints directly to me I do look into. If a moderator pursues a personal agenda then they will have their moderator status removed (as has happened once in the past).

It isn't possible at the moment to leave an explanation when removing posts aside from using the moderator comments in the topic, which obviously isn't possible when a whole topic is removed. A note is usually left when a topic is locked.

There is always a reason for posts being deleted, when we have posts being alerted to us because they are abusive etc, then we take action. If anyone thinks a post has been removed for no reason then they should contact me directly ([email protected]) and I will look into it.

thank you Admin for acknowledging the concerns of us mere mortals. will see what disappears over the next few weeks :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
thank you for your reply admin..

as to the original part of my post, I realised after making it that I had blundered and rushed back to edit my post to reflect this..

as i now have had a chance to view both posts !

I feel that the only thing the OP has done wrong is to post twice he has offered free stuff and replies appear to guide him to a local facility that would be able to help him be rid of the said rubble.

a little more guidance to the mods may be in order from your good self Admin.

as a moderator on another forum i would have locked one post with a link to the other. and advised the OP of double posting rule.

In normal cases we remove the duplicate, but in this case I believe Mod11 has left both as the poster is trying to do someone a favour. Where possible explanations are usually left.

:)

In normal cases we remove the duplicate, but in this case I believe Mod11 has left both as the poster is trying to do someone a favour. Where possible explanations are usually left.

:)

But that is not fair or right

It breaks forum rules, so if you can break forum rules, why have them?

You cant have one rule for one and one for another

What harm is it doing with there being two of them tho? OK, it is bending the rules a little bit but I don't see it being a massive problem.

If you want overzealous mods, I suggest you go to the Blue-room.org and ask a question about DMX software :LOL:

It breaks forum rules, so if you can break forum rules, why have them?

You cant have one rule for one and one for another

People are not going to revisit this site if they have received an unfriendly welcome / experience from mods or members.

There really is no need to come down hard on minor infringements and it is very heart warming to see unfriendly / bullying comments removed. :D

Perhaps DIYNOT can confirm exactly what the rules are on links?

I ask this because they seem to vary depending upon the moderator, the day & what time it is, what the URL etc.

For instance, is there any objection to my putting the whole link in for www.freecycle.org when responding to threads such as the one where someone is after finding a new home for some rubble. ????

What about other sites, Screwfix and B&Q are mentioned and linked to daily.
Yet other sites we get told not to.

Yet if you read the rules, there are none about putting links in posts except "no free advertising".

What is advertising? if for instance I am in no way connected with the linked site/company and I am responding to someone elses question with a pertinent reply & link what can/cannot we post?

A clarification would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Matty

I think that rule is aimed more at the type of people who sign up with the sole purpose of putting links in their posts for their product / site.

The likes of screwfix and TLC etc, pay to advertise on DIYnot anyway, so can't see links to those sites being not allowed.

Sponsored Links
Back