Paper boys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone noticed how lazy paper boys are these days. I walk my dog every morning and I am astounded to see the same paper boys being driven house to house by thier parents so they can do their rounds.

What does this teach them? certainly not independance and certainly not the value of money. Paper boys may earn between £2.50 and £3.00 an hour. How much is it costing to run the car! There are three cars I see regularly, one is a BMW 7 series, One is an large Audi convertible and one is a VW people carrier. The parents don't park at the end of the road and wait for them to do all of the houses, they are actually driving door to door and leaving the engine running all the while :evil: It's not doing the environment much good either.

Wouldn't they be better off saying don't bother doing the round, heres a tenner. It makes sense financially and it would be less polluting to the environment. The kids will still grow up thinking everyone is their to wait on them anyway ;) .

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find the parents want to protect their children in this mad world and have got nothing to do with money.

nstreet, while i agree, i once worked at a shop with news delivery and while most of the "paper delivery personel" had, say, 5-10 drops, one of the rounds was about 30 drops. This one was for a lad whose mother used to take him around in a car. The furthest drop being 2 miles away. He got about £30 a week, the rest got between 3 and 10. However, I still agree there is a lack of logic here. The paperrounds could have been structured better, but I wasn't responsible for this, being a mere supervisor at the time.

Consider, though, the environmental impact of those 30 people driving their cars to the shop individually.

masona, a good point, but has it really got to the point where kids cannot roam their locality without being with their parents?

crafty1289 said:
masona, a good point, but has it really got to the point where kids cannot roam their locality without being with their parents?
Sadly the parents don't feel safe to let them roam the street, as a parent, it's hard to let the kids go sometime but you have to do it and let then face the real world sometime.

Sponsored Links
no political party will do anything on crime its up to joe public to sort the streets out :LOL:

I hate to say this but it's heading that way :cry:

Edit - typo

Attacks on children were the same 30 years ago - it's just the News system that's changed. Do you really think that Paedos are a new invention?

Just feel the crime rates are now higher now than 30 yrs ago or have I got that wrong?

In my area it used a very low crime rate but it isn't now. :cry:

Never did a paper round as a kid! Couldn't see the point of all those early mornings/late nights in all kinds of weather :!:
Went market gardening on Sundays and earned more than a full week of delivering papers :D

But I think a lot of it boils down to the kids being lazy.

My nephew got a paper round and just couldn't be bothered getting out of bed. In the end my mother ended up doing it (she's an OAP) and still does it to this day!

laziness or over protective parents. They dont collect money these days either so its even safer. Just as much chance 30 years ago of something happening as there is today.

The lunatics are in my hall, the paper holds their folded faces to the floor ,and everyday the paperboy brings more :eek: Pink Floyd DSOTM ;)

Nige F said:
The lunatics are in my hall, the paper holds their folded faces to the floor ,and everyday the paperboy brings more :eek: Pink Floyd DSOTM ;)
And what a superb track it is.

We have a paper girl , Jessica ...an she is very reliable an I have no complaints ,always give her a tenner at xmas , :)

Moz said:
We have a paper girl , Jessica ...an she is very reliable an I have no complaints ,always give her a tenner at xmas , :)
"mummy, that drunk man at no. 32 has been bribing me again"

:LOL:

but you cant be too careful doin things like that moz. It could be seen in the wrong light.

Hey , shes 13 , an you know the old saying about "grass on the green!" etc ...

Nah ......Only kidding I give it Patel the paper shop owner to pass on to her , an Yes she gets it as she puts a thankyou note through the door ,which for a kid these days is quite refreshing to see , nice handwriting too...

My bin lads used to get a bottle of whiskey off me every year , but since the dreaded bins , they get nowt now ...

Sponsored Links
Back