Parking Charge UKCPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any dealings with this firm?

It seems really shady.

We have just had a "notification letter", stating that 28 days have elapsed since they last wrote (this is the first we knew about it). They then say later that they have made previous attempts to gain payment. (odd use of word "gain")

According to POFA, the correct procedure has not been carried out.

An online source (not sure if it up to date) says that UKCPS are not allowed to contact DVLA for RK details.

There is no evidence on the letter to show the presence of our vehicle or the timings it was supposedly there. The supposed date of issue was 14 December. As we have not had the NTK within 14 days, that surely counts for something?

They also say as the NTK was not responded to within 21 days and as such, the ability to "appeal" is no longer available.

But we never had an NTK!

Sponsored Links
I'm sure this thread will drag on for 5 + pages with people giving all sorts of fukery legal advice about what you should do but I can tell you now it's completely ignorable and if you hold your nerve it will go away as the company has no powers and cannot do **** all. I've never paid one private parking penalty charge and nothing ever happens, no knock at the door, nothing, except the odd letter which gets binned. Scammers usually give up and move onto easier prey. You are making a big mistake by responding to any of their little teasers. Ignore.

Has anyone had any dealings with this firm?

It seems really shady.

We have just had a "notification letter", stating that 28 days have elapsed since they last wrote (this is the first we knew about it). They then say later that they have made previous attempts to gain payment. (odd use of word "gain")

According to POFA, the correct procedure has not been carried out.

An online source (not sure if it up to date) says that UKCPS are not allowed to contact DVLA for RK details.

There is no evidence on the letter to show the presence of our vehicle or the timings it was supposedly there. The supposed date of issue was 14 December. As we have not had the NTK within 14 days, that surely counts for something?

They also say as the NTK was not responded to within 21 days and as such, the ability to "appeal" is no longer available.

But we never had an NTK!

Ignore it.

Sponsored Links
One thread on Pepipoo suggests trying this (which worked wonders for the OP):

Appeal to them with the following.

"Dear Sir or Madam,

I am the Registered Keeper of the vehicle with registration mark XYZ on the date of the (alleged) parking event xx/yy/2014 and I can confirm I am in receipt of your ticket.

Please note I wish to appeal this on the following basis.

1. The sum sought is not representative of any losses suffered by the landowner and in any case not representative of any losses suffered by you.
2. You will not have sufficient landholder rights to offer parking and to pursue this charge.

Should you not cancel this charge I expect you to issue me with the means to refer the matter to independent arbitration.

Note that should I not receive a reply within a reasonable period I will assume you have decided to cancel this charge.

Yours faithfully,

XYZ
Registered Keeper"

Make sure you get a free Proof of Posting when dropping off the letter at any Post Office.

Once they reply come back for the next step. But you won't pay them a penny.

I may be a bit simple, but what is point 2 all about?

Have done some research on Pepipoo.

Point number 2 stems from establishing that the parking company has sufficient interest in the land to bring a claim. In the case VCS vs HMRC, a binding decision at the level of the High Court decided that unless the parking company has a proprietory interest in the land, they are not able to offer contracts for parking.

Pepipoo is great for hypothetical armchair legal musings of tenuous reasons why laws will apply or not.

Pay up or ignore them.

If you later get called to court, tell it to the judge.

The first letter they say they sent would be the one with a time stamped photo of proof. Unless they sent it with signature required on
receipt i don't know how they can prove you received it in the said legal timeframe?

There isn’t much wrong with “i haven’t received your previous correspondence and dispute your claim”.

However sadly some of the advice on this thread is out of date.

There isn’t much wrong with “i haven’t received your previous correspondence and dispute your claim”.

However sadly some of the advice on this thread is out of date.

Which advice exactly ?

I could be wrong but I vaguely remember a conversation with you some time ago about private parking charges, it was on a thread that decended into about 7 pages of mumbo jumbo legalese.

I wish I had so much free time to waste.

1. The template letter - acknowledges receipt of something the OP disputes they received. So that's not a good plan
2. The argument that you can ignore their claim and they can't pursue it - is out of date following https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2013-0280-judgment.pdf
3. that the company has no right to obtain the registered keeper details - is wrong and also goes nowhere.

Its probably become obvious from my other posts, my field of work, but I can contribute more by not mentioning it too much.

Pepipoo is great for hypothetical armchair legal musings of tenuous reasons why laws will apply or not.

Pay up or ignore them.

If you later get called to court, tell it to the judge.
Lol

I had one after parking in a large hotel car park I had paid to stay at. Got a letter complete with 5 A4 colour pictures of my car and ignored it. Got a 28 day reminder letter and ignored this. Got a third letter with even more scary words and ignored that.

This was in October 2014 and I've never heard anything since. Others with similar experience in other settings have also never been charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back