parma ham

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
buy it from m and s and it is expensive.
there are cheaper variations, some taste very good.

anyone here able to say what is and isnt parma ham ?
is it just about where it comes from as opposed to how it is made?

Sponsored Links
I have a funny feeling that it can only be called Parma ham if it is smoked in the Parma region, a bit like champagne lol

ahh. I have to say that I have used cheaper alternatives and kept quiet when pals round and no one has noticed!!!!

Sponsored Links
Of course, given the choice, a true gastronome would always opt for the superior Jamon Serrano.

Well, like anything it always tastes better in the country of origin, we go home and try to recreate it to our disapointmentment, In a restaurant in italy with a bottle of Peroni, parma ham served up with olives, Focaccia bread and salad in the atmosphere and by a italian and the smells and sounds of italy is delicious, but here in Cornwall I'd prefer a pasty and a pint of skinners. ;)

but richard... olives, anchovies, lambs lettuce, water cress, chilli olive oil and balsamic vinegar.. parma ham and avacado with freshly ground black pepper is yummy yummy yummy. even on home ground.

Richardp said:
Well, like anything it always tastes better in the country of origin, we go home and try to recreate it to our disapointmentment, In a restaurant in italy with a bottle of Peroni, parma ham served up with olives, Focaccia bread and salad in the atmosphere and by a italian and the smells and sounds of italy is delicious, but here in Cornwall I'd prefer a pasty and a pint of skinners. ;)

Rowes and Betty Stogs or Cornish Knocker (or Blonde or Heligan honey ------- pale substitutes in my opinion)

toffee said:
ahh. I have to say that I have used cheaper alternatives and kept quiet when pals round and ...

and my friends have been too polite to say anything :LOL:

For Parma Ham follow these instructions.
Lay a pack of bacon in the road and wait until it's been well run over. Then peel it up and put a hook through one end.
Next hang it in the vault of the smokiest pub in your village/town. Retire for 2 weeks. Now go and collect the "delicacy", stand on the foot pedal of the bin and drop it in. Job done. :rolleyes:

keyplayer said:
Of course, given the choice, a true gastronome would always opt for the superior Jamon Serrano.

WHY???.... personally I always go for the Prosciutto di San Danielle! ( or maybe thats just because I´m cheap )

The method of preparation is special toffee, as well as the originating region.

There's an Italian consortium that upholds the authenticity of both factors - hence the slightly poncy certificated label that adorns the genuine products.

Brightness said:
I have a funny feeling that it can only be called Parma ham if it is smoked in the Parma region, a bit like champagne lol
Brightness - I don't believe that smoking is part of the preparation!

Softus, you are spot on there. ;)

Parma Ham: The true prosciutto, this superior Italian ham hails from northern Italy's province of Parma, the same area famous for Parmesan cheese. The special diet of chestnuts and whey (from the cheese-making process) that Parma pigs enjoy results in an excellent quality of meat. Parma hams are seasoned, salt-cured and air-dried but not smoked. They have a rosy-brown flesh that is firm and dense. The best of these special hams come from the little village of Langhirano, just south of the city of Parma. Parma hams are usually thinly sliced and eaten raw as an appetizer (often with melon) but they can be used in cooking as well. Italians use the rind to flavor soups. See also ham.

Sponsored Links
Back