Part P interpretation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In Part P, it says that the cable of a single circuit can be replaced if damaged by impact, fire, rodent etc. I have a lighting circuit that is wired with 30+ year old non-twin&earth cable. Can I replace that cable without notifying a BC or do I have to drop something on it first?

Sponsored Links
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

What is wrong with you people.

Why do you all want to dodge the dreaded part p

The legislation has been brought in to protect you from poor wiring.

Stop trying to avoid doing the job properly.

If you are rewiring the circuit it needs notifying to your LABC, damaged cable or not.

You do not need to notify if your are replacing a single piece of cable like for like as this will not alter the characteristics of the circuit.

I do want to follow the regulations, I know they're in my best interests safety-wise and when i come to sell this place, but I'm not talking about rewiring a circuit completely. It's replacing the cable that runs from a light switch to a ceiling rose or from ceiling rose to ceiling rose. I want to use 1.5mm twin&earth (as you would) but the old stuff runs as separate neutral, live and earth. That surely doesn't alter the characteristics of the circuit? Still three wires going to from the same place to the same place, it's just twin&earth is conveniently sleeved as one cable. I suppose I could strip it so it's separate, but that would be silly. The replacement cable will have "the same current carrying capacity and follows the same route" and the notes in Part P say "Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are not generally notifiable".

I actually want to do the job right, I just asking for a little help understanding if I'm understanding the regulations correctly.[/b]

aidf72 said:
I actually want to do the job right, I just asking for a little help understanding if I'm understanding the regulations correctly.[/b]

If you're asking for electrical advise please carry on but if you're asking for advise on ways around regulations then don't bother because you wont get any.

Sponsored Links
You must get someone who is part p registered to damage the cable for you then you can replace it or alternatively damage it yoiurself providing you pay LABC fee and give them at least 48 hours notice

Guys! I really DO want help. How exactly should i phrase it so I get advice rather than exasperation? I dont want to work around the regulations and I dont want to ignore them!
My second post was clear on what I want to do and highlighed a very real confusion on what I've read of the regulations and what I want to do in practise. If anyone can offer any actual advice that'd be really appreciated, cos it is advice not arguements I was hoping for here.

aidf72 said:
I want to use 1.5mm twin&earth (as you would) but the old stuff runs as separate neutral, live and earth. That surely doesn't alter the characteristics of the circuit?
Yes it does. Twin and earth cable has different characteristics from singles. Stranded versus solid for a start and it may also be Imperial, as opposed to metric. Also, if wired in sheathed singles, not in conduit there's a good chance that the lives are looped at switches and neutrals at luminaires, so your new cable will follow a different route

"Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are not generally notifiable".

I agree with the others that you are proposing more than that. From your question I would say that your job is notifiable. Also, do you have the knowledge and the test equipment to prove that your proposals will satisfy ALL the electrical requirements? (CPC continuity, IR, Zs in particular.)

Thanks, that made a lot more sense. I'll have to try and find a qualified sparky to do the work. I'm just cautious and want to eliminate the need for outside help where possible cos the last time I asked someone to come along to quote for some work, I made sure he was registered and approved to self-certify the work and I thought in doing so I'd be avoiding the cowboys. Then he turned round and asked if the cooker isolation switch that he was there to move and replace, should have a neon light on it. I said yes and he sucked his teeth and told me they're about £50. The screwfix catalogue I had on the table and had checked, said different. It's a new town for me and I know no one who can give a personal recommendation, and that makes it tough.
Thanks again for the advice.

Always get more than one quote. And when do you find a good tradesman, of any persuasion, be sure to pass on his name to others.

RF Lighting said:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, something you seem keen to promote MR RF.

Could I suggest that if you don't have anything helpful to say, that saying feck all might be a better way forward.

Manners cost nothing, trying using them and you might find that people won't want to get all antsy with you. :rolleyes:

chris, i read the post at first thought about telling aid were to get lost. To much of it on here. people trying to cut corners and thinking that electricians that have committed many years to learning there trade are going to help them find loop holes in regs. more than willing to help people with minor faults and issues which to be honest dont warrant calling out a electrician, but any thing involving people with not enough experience or the correct equipment expect a mouthful :evil:

Chri5 said:
Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, something you seem keen to promote MR RF.

I was not being sarcastic

Could I suggest that if you don't have anything helpful to say, that saying f**k all might be a better way forward.

You quoted the first part of my post wich was not helpful. If you bothered to read the rest of my post you would have seen that I also advised the OP regarding his question

RF Lighting said:
If you are rewiring the circuit it needs notifying to your LABC, damaged cable or not.

You do not need to notify if your are replacing a single piece of cable like for like as this will not alter the characteristics of the circuit.

Manners cost nothing, trying using them and you might find that people won't want to get all antsy with you. :rolleyes:

I'm not the person swearing and having a go.

If you have a read of my other two and a half thousand posts, you will see that 99% are helping folk out, free of charge and in my spare time.

It's way too easy to get vexed in forum-style communications. Without tone of voice, intonation etc things are too readily misunderstood. After the first response, I was taken aback, but you cant take offence. I might be coming in with what to me is a fresh, new and sensible question; to the forum regulars, it's repeated over and over and when it's a stupid question like mine seems to have been, frustrating. No one need fall out over it; like the man said, it's free expert advice and I for one am happy to be shrug off a little tension to get at it. Anyway I'm bound to ask more stupid questions so I gotta be prepared for some flames from time to time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back