partp- consumer unit change

Hi,
you`re getting some pretty good advice on here from the members of the forum.

Just a recap.

The "Electrician" doing the work should have either notified the local authority before hand and given them chance to inspect & test if they wished to. The LABC then would have issued you with a certificate of compliance.

Alternatively, if the electrician is registered with one of the schemes then he would have issued you with an Electrical Installation Certificate covering all the work he has done (consumer unit change and inspection & testing of all the circuits connected to it and any new circuits he added and any new works to existing circuits).
He would then also offer you an optional warranty (if the works totals £200 or more).
He would then notify his scheme operator within about 21 days who would in turn notify the LABC with 28 days of completion of the works and the scheme would also have sent you a cert confirming this.

So either LABC would have been involved or you get an Electrical Installation Certificate (covering ALL the electrical work) and a warranty from him plus a certificate from the scheme operator.

The EIC will usually be 2 or three pages long and could be one he got from his own scheme operator (or even one of the other operators) or from IEE or from say kewtech or similar or even one of his own.
If he`s using a kewtech one that makes me a little sus but it could be OK though.

If he is in a scheme I would have expected him to put such details on the EIC along with his reg number so you can check it easily. The schemes websites are pretty much up to date (a few weeks delay at most) with this and the competent person ones by the LABC nationally are usually fairly accurate but not always as up to date.

Frankly I`m not suprised that your alarm bells are ringing and would be interested to see what his explanation is.

At the end of the day there really are two questions.
1/ Has Part P been complied with (If not you could face big problems if you sell your house).
2/ Has the work been done correctly (and safely)

If he`s doing so much work (and a lot of it would be notifiable) then it`s difficult to imagine that he would not register if he`s complying with the law. Purely for his own financial sense.

Let us know how you get on.

Hope that helps
(just for reference I am a registered installer so my advice might be fairly accurate)

Sponsored Links
For the seller of those Electrical Certificates to call them Part P certs is confusing.

Part P is a Part of the Building Regulations that must be complied with
(whether or not it is actually complied with or not by many is another matter).
Part P is not a certificate or a qualification it`s just the law (in England and Wales)

I`ve just read the Core & Ore terms and conditions.
I wonder if trading standards have read them?

I assume you have an address and telephone (landline) number for the electrician

Sponsored Links
Did you pay Core & Ore for the electrical work to be done or did you pay the electrician? Or did you pay IKEA as a whole for all the work to be done?
If your contract is with IKEA then it is their T&C, not those of Core and Ore you need to be looking at.
See what the electrician says on Monday first.

Ok- thank you all very much for your advice and sorry but we haven't had time to scan the documents or upload any pictures yet. But we will try to.

Unfortunately the news is not good. We faxed our Kewtech documents through to Core and Ore last Friday and were expecting Kevin, the electrician to call yesterday. Well, I didn't really expect him to and he didn't. Instead James from Core and Ore called today to say that we had not had a new consumer unit fitted! It wasn't detailed on the original quote and it wasn't mentioned on the Kewtech documents and the electrician had no record of it happening. Abd yes, I was completely right that if it had been changed then all circuits connected to it would have been checked.

So, the reason it isn't mentioned on the original quote is that the person who initially inspected the job did not realise that a new consumer unit was necessary... we were a bit annoyed about it when we were told that one was necessary when the contractors turned up but heave-ho. BUT part of the job we were were quoted for- moving an existing door under the stairs to in the hall, which was to cost £350- was not done (we changed our minds about the plans) and instead of being refunded £350 that was used to pay for installation of the new consumer unit.

Uhm said James, obviously we would know what a new consumer unit would look like so he would get back to Kevin to check. I asked him who Kevin was registered with and he still didn't know. Kevin was going back to check his paperwork and would call him.

I then pointed out that we hadn't received anything from the agency that Kevin is registered with about the work that has been documented on the Kewtech certificates. Oh said James, that is outside their control and is due to building control being slow in getting notification to us. So I quoted him part of the last posting saying that it should come from the agency and he said that it varied between agencies. So I said, if I contact Cardiff LABC they should know about this work even though we haven't had anything in the post? Yes, he said.

I've just called Cardiff LABC and of course they haven't been notified about anything in the house. What a shock. Unfortunately I can't get through to James as his line has been busy for the last 50 minutes.

I am as you can imagine a little bit annoyed now and I'm wondering how we take it further.

Sorry, I din't notice the last few posts. Yes we paid Core and Ore not IKEA... although there was a £250 admin charge to IKEA and the work is meant to be guaranteed.
A few weeks after the installation the oak worktop split. We emailed a picture to the IKEA handler who straight away arranged for new worktops to be delivered and an installer to come and fit it. Good job.
We will have to get back to the IKEA handler and keep him upto date. In feact I might email him the link to this thread.

You know we even read this in advance and still went with them!
http://www.ciao.co.uk/IKEA_Kitchen_Systems__Review_5710261

Thanks again

We have an address but no landline number for the electrian and Core and Ore don't seem to want to give it to us although to be honest I am not very keen on speaking to him.

James from Core and Ore has told me that Kevin is registered with NICEIC and given me a registration number.
Kevin in not listed on the NICEIC website. When I got through to them I established that the number is not one of their numbers, that there is no K Martin in Cardiff registered with them and that no work has been notified to them about our house.
The person I spoke to suggested I contact the Citizen's advice bureau.

I would have thought it didn't matter whether a new CU was part of the contract with C&O. Just the work the electrician was contracted to do was notifiable, so if C&O subbed it to a criminal then I would expect them to be held to account.

Have just spoken to Rob in Core and Ore. Kevin is the electrician who does most of their work and they are very confident that he is infact registered even if NICEIC do not think that he is. Rob blames the local authority not being aware of any work being done on the fact that NICEIC have had to apologise to them for delays with their computer system. Many contractors now notify NICEIC of work through the internet rather than on paper and they are having massive delays because of this.

This sounds remarkably unlikely.

He also mentioned that if we had a new consumer unit installed by Kevin then this would have been private work as not in the original contract. But as stated this is now the least of their/our problems.

Spoke to Rob and he assures me that Kevin has left the installation job he is working on to go home and get his certificates so that he can verify his registration. Rob says that they are unsure what name Kevin is trading under which is perhaps why we can not track him down with NICEIC.

Phoned by the electrician this afternoon- very apologetic- he is not registered with NICEIC or anyone else. He was sending all documentation to the college he did the '16th' exams with. He will have to close his business now. Up to me if I want to take it further.

Core and Ore will allow me to arrange another electrician to do proper testing. Core and Ore state that it is the electrician's responsibility to inform the local authorities that he has worked in so that they can do checks and that electrician will may for it.

What steps can i take to ensure that other people who have had work done by this cowboy have the work in their homes checked. Surely Core and Ore should have the responsibility of notifying them as the contract is with them and not the electrician.

In all honesty I am shocked.

"Phoned by the electrician this afternoon- very apologetic- he is not registered with NICEIC or anyone else"

Now there`s a suprise!

"He was sending all documentation to the college he did the '16th' exams with. "

This gets better! there`s not many could make that one up.

"Up to me if I want to take it further."

I think he wants your pity.

"Core and Ore will allow me to arrange another electrician to do proper testing"

What do they mean allow? Could they prevent it? No, or do they mean they will pay for it?

"Core and Ore state that it is the electrician's responsibility to inform the local authorities that he has worked in so that they can do checks and that electrician will may for it. "

Do they mean that they are not responsible for their subcontractor?

"What steps can i take to ensure that other people who have had work done by this cowboy have the work in their homes checked. Surely Core and Ore should have the responsibility of notifying them as the contract is with them and not the electrician. "

What about Trading Standards, LABC and NICEIC for a starter?
How many others has this happend to by this firm?

"In all honesty I am shocked"
I`m not suprised, you`re probably also worried about the actual standard of workmanship now too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back