1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Passed the local BM today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scarlet Pimpernel, 13 Jul 2021.

1. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel

Thanks Received:
    France
    upload_2021-7-13_20-15-51.png
    No apparent shortages here.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Charlie George

Charlie George

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks very quiet,is there a lack of work in France at the moment?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel

Thanks Received:
    France
    That's their backyard, there's another yard at the front and a reception desk.

5. trazor

trazor

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So a small amount of timber, proves that a small timber yard has a small amount of timber.

6. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel

Thanks Received:
    France
    It looked like a full timber yard to me, for an average BM. I am familiar with BMs in UK. :rolleyes:
    It is only one of four BMs in that little town (population of about 10,000) but it happens to be my preferred and nearest BM.
    The next nearest larger town (of about 15,000) is 25 k away, and probably has about another 4 BMs, one of which I frequent regularly.

If I need another BM, or special requests, orders, etc, such as slates, crochets, glass, etc, I'll usually visit another, the capital of the prefecture, about 75 K away, in a town of about 75,000 inhabitants.
    So even the towns and villages round here are all small compared to UK cities. Even the capitals of the prefectures (main cities and counties are probably the nearest equivalent in UK) are invariably less that 100,000 inhabitants.

It was only mentioned in response to the apparent shortage of timber in UK, which doesn't appear to have affected France.

Actually, now that I've done that comparison, it might be relevant to a totally different issue: crime.
    The German sociologist Tonnies's discussion of Gemeinschaft and Gesellschaft https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemeinschaft_and_Gesellschaft might have a bearing on the difference in crime rates round here compared to the cities of UK, or any large cities anywhere.

7. Charlie George

Charlie George

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  8. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel

Thanks Received:
    France
    Maybe prices are going up in Paris. That wouldn't surprise me.
    I don't know if prices are rising similarly anywhere else, except I did buy 600 metres of slate battens recently (a few weeks ago), and the price was very comparable to an identical purchase (but not in quantity) a year ago.

9. Sponsored Links