shortage of houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why are we constantly told that there is a shortage of houses ?? Again today Hilary Benn has been complaining that not enough are being built.

However, There are hundreds and thousands 'up for sale' so where is the shortage.

Sponsored Links
He means shortage of social houses. What used to be called council houses. If I want a house I can go an buy one this afternoon. But if I want a house given to me (by the council) I'd have to wait a bit longer.

Don't confuse the rental market for people on the dole with houses for sale, I think the housing shortage is for the "have nots"

There are plenty of houses to let in my area, but they are all more than £1000pcm.

Sponsored Links
If we stopped all the free loaders coming in, we wouldn't need so many houses.

I said a few weeks ago there's a conflict of interest for me, as a truck driver the EE's are putting me out of a job but as a landlord I'm reaping the benefits of a housing shortage.

Why are we constantly told that there is a shortage of houses ?? Again today Hilary Benn has been complaining that not enough are being built.

However, There are hundreds and thousands 'up for sale' so where is the shortage.

there are several houses round here up for sale and they are all full
i suspect around 95% off houses in an area with shortages will be a family moving rather than empty

Almost my whole life I've heard that there is a shortage of engineers and yet my phone has never been ringing off the wall.
The idea is that many people go into engineering so there is a surplus so their wages drop.
This scenario may somehow fit what you are seeing.

Hasn't every council got targets to meet to build x amount of houses or be fined..even after this there will still be shortgages

Hasn't every council got targets to meet to build x amount of houses or be fined..even after this there will still be shortgages

I think it was the Thatcher government that wanted most homes to be in private ownership or rented by private landlords

So the requirement for councils to build and provide adequate housing for local need was removed, and they were actively prevented from building new homes.

This has led to where we are today. Not everyone can afford a mortgage or afford private rents, so there will always be a need for social housing. Demographics have changed, and there are more people living alone and families splitting up so this increases the need for more homes

The actual phrase is "shortage of affordable homes". The well off are still able to find properties, and even snap up cheap homes for renting out at high rents - so making the problem even worse

I think it was the Thatcher government that wanted most homes to be in private ownership or rented by private landlords

So the requirement for councils to build and provide adequate housing for local need was removed, and they were actively prevented from building new homes.

this was a clever move selling houses to working class people to get tory votes enslave the owner to a mortgage making them reluctant to strike
and because councils had such great surplices she with held part off the central government grant and used it for tax cuts mainly to her friends

because off this being perpetuated by labour and tories ever since we now have to pay the price off excessive housing costs

About six months ago I tried to get a co-operative up and running with the posters on this forum, not one took me up on my offer, it was mainly doom and gloom how the house prices were going to fall even further and there was no money to be made in property now.

In the last few months house prices in the area I live have gone up about £30k.

Have this pair got it wrong?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...teachers-clocked-707-houses-240m-fortune.html

About six months ago I tried to get a co-operative up and running with the posters on this forum, not one took me up on my offer, it was mainly doom and gloom how the house prices were going to fall even further and there was no money to be made in property now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-clocked-707-houses-240m-fortune.html[/QUOTE]

several points here really

on a 30k house thats a 100% on a 2.2million house its not so much

during the summer people ask far more for there house
the asking price is irrelivent its the selling price that matters

there are still parts off the country where you cant sell a house at the 1k mark

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-clocked-707-houses-240m-fortune.html[/QUOTE]

several points here really

on a 30k house thats a 100% on a 2.2million house its not so much

during the summer people ask far more for there house
the asking price is irrelivent its the selling price that matters

there are still parts off the country where you cant sell a house at the 1k mark

I wish, gone from 250 ish up to 280ish, I've had to go a mile down the road to buy another one as they are 50k cheaper..

Sponsored Links
Back