Pay by phone parking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I parked in a pay by phone parking bay for less than 10 minutes while I got a quick key cut. Will I get fined for it? The internet says there's a 10 minute grace period. Is this universal for London?

Sponsored Links
You could park there for 3 hours and get away with it - depends when the parking police come round. You could also park there for 3 minutes and get caught…..

I think grace periods are given at the end of any time that you have actually paid to park so 1 hour paid could mean 1 hour 10 mins before you are fined.

Can they fine people via camera? Obviously there wasn't parking police or I would have seen them. The car wasn't far from a police station, though.

Way back, the ticketer waited for x minutes before writing out a ticket for illegal parking. Have things changed?

I don’t think every bay is covered by a camera. It’s nothing to do with police. Did you try to pay? Round here, the first hour/30 mins are free in street bays (not in car parks though) but you still have to log on to the app and register your car to the bay.

Sponsored Links
Can't tell if there was camera at that specific spot because I didn't spend 30 minutes looking. But there were cameras nearby and well camouflaged. The bay I parked in was permit holders only + pay by phone.

What a sh*thole the place is turning into, can't even do some quick shopping at local shops.

Can they fine people via camera?
Yes, and plenty of the enforcement cameras are in a van or car that just drives past. It automatically reads the number plate and if there is no valid parking payment found, you get a fine.

Way back, the ticketer waited for x minutes before writing out a ticket for illegal parking.
Ancient history.

I am not worried about those -they could be held up by traffic. I am worried about camera on a tall black pole.
Why are you not worried about those - It’s the same fine whatever camera catches you. Was there a fixed camera on a pole near where you parked and how certain are you that no camera cars went by?

Why are you not worried about those - It’s the same fine whatever camera catches you. Was there a fixed camera on a pole near where you parked and how certain are you that no camera cars went by?
There are those poles in the general area. The chance of a camera car going past is same chance as a bus going past. I didn't see any bus.

I parked in a pay by phone parking bay for less than 10 minutes while I got a quick key cut. Will I get fined for it? The internet says there's a 10 minute grace period. Is this universal for London?
You took the risk.

You will most likely now get a fine for it.

The cost of paying for parking would have been cheaper

You took the risk.

You will most likely now get a fine for it.

The cost of paying for parking would have been cheaper
Don't be scaremongering. I reckon my ninja parking worked.

From now on, when I go pass that area, I will scan for camera poles. I should be up and down that area all day today to carry stuff to the recycle centre.

Can they fine people via camera?]
yes, my brother got fined by camera in london, wiht his disabled daughter as he went over the 3 hours i think it was he was allowed

The 10mins certainly applies to car parks - at least in west sussex , as my partner got delayed longer than the 10mins getting out of the carpark - 13mins in fact - all logged on the camera and received a fine , as ot was over the 10min allowance on the ticket time paid for and all tracked by camera

some carparks give you 10mins from when you drive in and can drive straight out - had to do that a few times

I hope you have a waste carriers licence…….
Yes, I have it. I showed them my SSE letter saying something about OVO taking over, the recycle guy and guyette let me through, no problems. Being a legit disposer, they even went to the trouble of telling the guy picking up fridges to hurry it up because I am coming through.

Anyway, I did some serious scouting and did find a black pole camera at the turn of the road. It's at a diagonal to my parked position relative to the road and could pick up my registration. But it would not be able to read registrations on the other side of the road. The car closer to the camera would block the registration of the car behind. This leads me to believe the camera isn't there to enforce parking rules. Next time I will park on the camera side of the road.

You can get a PCN bis camera.
I have had one for supposedly parking on a pavement on SW London.
I challenged it as i always do .
My challenge was based on the fact the area i was parked on actually belonged to my client . Land registry documents proved i was totally legal ha!

Sponsored Links
Back