private company parking charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys this question is on behalf of the other half who is having problems with parking company. What happend is she had a job on a retail park, what is covever with a 3 hour max parking time with a private company on behalf of the land owner, she has since recived numerous letters demaing money for unpaid parking fines.
The charges were mentioned at work and they said ignor them as you work here you dont get fined, the compay she worked for sent a letter saying this to the parking company, however they still send letters and are saying if she doesnt pay they will take legal action via courts. Does anyone know where she stands? as i was told it was only local authoritys that have the power to take people to court over parking but mostly dont bother due to the cost involved. any help is welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Carry on ignoring them. They wont take legal action as they are not enforceable. They are not actually 'fines', they are invoices disguised to look like fines.

Ignore and they will eventually go away. Dont even worry about it.

My youngest daughter had a parking charge as below which we advised her not to pay (she wasn't parked in the horsefair) She received five or six letters and then this final demand. That was ignored as well ;)

I've got a drawer full. It's their postage they are wasting. They'll give a final demand and threaten to send the bailiffs in. That's the best letter. Ignore that and they'll give up.

Sponsored Links
Aldi supermarkets tried this with my other half, even when we produced visual evidence to prove she wasn't even on their car park. After five or six letters i challenged them to take it to court and they cancelled the charge.

thanks guys. will tell her to carry on ignoring them and not to worry.

Some useful info here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/apr/18/how-challenge-parking-ticket

And some forums if you need further advice -

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=6d77952db84f0d8210a8350491716fa5&

I recently had a parking charge notice in a Co op car park. I tried a different approach, and emailed the CEO of Co op. I told him that I considered the ticket to be harrasment. I gave him 14 days to tell the parking company to stop contacting me and cancel the ticket. If they didn't, I would take Co op and the parking co to court and demand damages. I said that I would also be contacting the local paper.

Within hours, I got a grovelling email saying that the charge was cancelled.

recently had a parking charge notice in a Co op car park. I tried a different approach, and emailed the CEO of Co op. I told him that I considered the ticket to be harrasment. I gave him 14 days to tell the parking companyr to stop contacting me and cancel the ticket. If they didn't, I would take Co op and the parking co to court and demand damages. I said that I would also be contacting the local paper.

Within hours, I got a grovelling email saying that the charge was cancelled.[/quote]

Well done, and a good, But it COULD be the case that by replying you acknowledge your debt, and make it easier for them if they do take it to court. My daughter and partner had a ticket, and was about to pay. I told him ro do a bir of research first. He ignored or and they went away, Aldi. IIRC

recently had a parking charge notice in a Co op car park. I tried a different approach, and emailed the CEO of Co op. I told him that I considered the ticket to be harrasment. I gave him 14 days to tell the parking companyr to stop contacting me and cancel the ticket. If they didn't, I would take Co op and the parking co to court and demand damages. I said that I would also be contacting the local paper.

Within hours, I got a grovelling email saying that the charge was cancelled.

Well done, and a good, But it COULD be the case that by replying you acknowledge your debt, and make it easier for them if they do take it to court. My daughter and partner had a ticket, and was about to pay. I told him ro do a bir of research first. He ignored or and they went away, Aldi. IIRC

Thanks. Yes, realise it could have gone the wrong way. However, when you start researching these charge notices, you find several ways to challenge if it goes as far as court - which it rarely does.

It appears that the law has changed, and now just ignoring might not work. You have to respond, but you are still unlikely to go to court. The appeals are easy to win with one or two bits of vital info. The forums that I linked to are invaluable for this. There are lots of similar cases on there and a few knowledgeable experts to help you.

In my case, I don't doubt that the parking co would have persisted. It was Co op who didn't really have the stomach for it.

My youngest daughter had a parking charge as below which we advised her not to pay (she wasn't parked in the horsefair) She received five or six letters and then this final demand. That was ignored as well ;)

So if this is a scam, how do they get all the details?

Scam? Britannia control the parking in the horsefair carpark one of their guys took it upon himself to ticket cars parked in the surrounding roads.

Parking companies buy your details from the dvla.

Private companies cannot issue fines.

They can sue for their 'actual' loss.

Considering the parking is free, then how much will that amount to?

Sponsored Links
Back