Paying a day rate

I bow to your superior knowledge.

It was a TRANSIT that was mentioned. But if you can do 4 corners on a vag blindfolded in an hour then I think that statement says it all
Hey ******, i never mentioned a transit.
The fact you read somewhere that someone had trouble with a transit makes no difference to the fact that mechanics (especially main dealers) overestimate their labour time by 200-300%.
Now, stop changing subject to make your 3 neurons believe you're smart, because you're not.
You can't even follow the sense of a simple conversation.

Sponsored Links
The fact you read somewhere that someone had trouble with a transit makes no difference to the fact that mechanics (especially main dealers) overestimate their labour time by 200-300%.
Not so, main dealers stick to the times given by the company giving them the franchise. Non dealerships should stick to the times given in The Standard Times Manual.

Not so, main dealers stick to the times given by the company giving them the franchise. Non dealerships should stick to the times given in The Standard Times Manual.
Incidentally those times are waaaay longer than required in real world.
Double or triple.

Incidentally those times are waaaay longer than required in real world.
Double or triple.
Could you give an example of a dealer time that is double or triple the time it should take to do a particular job?

Sponsored Links
You do know he is the best and most experienced mechanic?

Could you give an example of a dealer time that is double or triple the time it should take to do a particular job?
I can give you some examples of times that are very tight. Probably impossible until you've done them a few times

Already did.
VW Passat B5 front discs and pads quoted 3 hours labour by VW west London.
I had a dodgy knee at the time, that's why I enquired.
Eventually I left it for a few weeks and then done in myself in about 45 minutes including tools out/tools in.
Robbing bastards.

Indeed, probably because they're set based on a vehicle where nothing is worn, rounded off, seized or bodged in a past repair?!
That time would be quickly adjusted with a telephone call as soon as they put the car on the ramp and find problems.
Or, they'll make up some rubbish to overcharge (new calipers, caliper brackets bolts to be extracted because worn off, etc.)

It's interesting to see the thread has focussed on two trades: plumbers and mechanics. Coincidence?

Already did.
VW Passat B5 front discs and pads quoted 3 hours labour by VW west London.
I had a dodgy knee at the time, that's why I enquired.
Eventually I left it for a few weeks and then done in myself in about 45 minutes including tools out/tools in.
Robbing bastards.
Having had the pleasure of having to do that particular two minute job, I very much doubt that the VW book time for that job is three hours.
I would be intested to see that in writing and their workings on how they come to that time. There is a very good reason why dealer times are not overly long.

Having had the pleasure of having to do that particular two minute job, I very much doubt that the VW book time for that job is three hours.
I would be intested to see that in writing and their workings on how they come to that time. There is a very good reason why dealer times are not overly long.
Dealers times are NOT overly long???
Did you read what they quoted for front brakes?
3 hours!

There is also flip side to that

What about some who does a 10
Hour day ?

Would some one be happy to pay extra ?????

Most jobs, I provide quotes, a hand full of customers I charge them by the hour. Each week I use Google maps timeline to log the hours spent in their homes.

I don't take lunch breaks though and if I did, I wouldn't charge a customer for it. That said, if a customer want me to travel more than 45 mins away by tube for an hour of work, I will charge them to cover my journey there.

Sponsored Links
Back