Paying a day rate

a trader that nips in to a customer, on his way out or home, to do a small job, doesn't charge an hourly rate?

I would charge an hour regardless if I was ther 10 mins or 1 hour.
And the rate would be higher if it was an emergency call out

Sponsored Links
The only mechanics who charge by the hour are the main dealers who double and even triple the time required to do a job, as well as the cost of parts. (3 hours to change front discs and pads on a VW passat :ROFLMAO: )
I know you only deal with bodgers, but there's a different world out there.

Totally agreee, I had new front discs and pads on my Transit charging for 3 hours labour, after 6 weeks the discs warpped and had to be replaced. Guess what, they done it in 45 mins.

Andy

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Before I answer that, show me some one who would do 10 hours on a day rate.

Some people just take the pi$s, but the punter should ask before the agreement. But a genuine guy would do a proper say, or say upfront that their “day” is actually part time.

Be all that as it may

The OP makes a fair point

I have done 10 hour day rate or should I say it turned into a 10 hour day on several occasions

My point is some people are eager to want some thing knocked off a bill

But not to keen to pay for extra time

Than you get the people you actually give a price to to fix some thing send em a bill and they start whinging you were only there 10 ir /15 minutes

Or he only turned up my room stat or re pressurised my combi

Or put the plug back in the power point that some one pulled out

If you agree a day rate with a tradesperson, and know that they arrive at 10am, and don't get started well after 10.30am (sat in van), and are gone by 3pm.
What do you do / say to them? In my work, that's not much more than half a day ...
Ive been doing a bit of day rate for a customer over last fortnight

Ive been doing 8.00am till 4.00am
lunch between 15 mins to 30 mins

I think 8 hours less a bit of lunch and tea on the go is a fair day

it all depends, a highly skilled plasterer or bricklayer could achieve an awful lot between 10.30 and 3

Be all that as it may

The OP makes a fair point

I have done 10 hour day rate or should I say it turned into a 10 hour day on several occasions

My point is some people are eager to want some thing knocked off a bill

But not to keen to pay for extra time

Than you get the people you actually give a price to to fix some thing send em a bill and they start whinging you were only there 10 ir /15 minutes

Or he only turned up my room stat or re pressurised my combi

Or put the plug back in the power point that some one pulled out
But those are examples of irritants, but does not excuse a part time day being charged as a full day.

I am struggling think where a day could stretch to 20 hours, unless one said it is £xx per day and will take one day. That stops being a day rate and becomes a quote.

But it is fair to say that a lot of people will want the best of both worlds / which is we by I BBC was always happier being completely clear at the outset

you dont know much, about the motor trade, do you
Surely more than you, hands down.
So you charge by an hourly rate, cant be a real trader then according to johnny
No, he goes there to an unknown job and charges a minimum rate.
Then if he can fix the problem within the hour, fine, otherwise a quote will be given.
Emergency call out is not a guaranteed repair.
Every tradesman, not you, have attended jobs where the customer couldn't explain what needed done.
Many times I've been asked to shave a door rubbing only to find a loose hinge.
Some regular customers or old folks get the repair free, some mick takers get charged £60/£80 call out charge.
You would be surely charged the call out fee, no doubt about it.
It's not an hourly rate.

Totally agreee, I had new front discs and pads on my Transit charging for 3 hours labour, after 6 wees the discs warpped and had to be replaced. Guess what, they done it in 45 mins.

Andy
Yep!
They charge 3 hours for something that a diy mechanic can do in half hour without a ramp on their driveway.
Robbing bastards.

Yep!
They charge 3 hours for something that a diy mechanic can do in half hour without a ramp on their driveway.
Robbing bastards.
Thats amusing. You show your (lack of ) knowledge of Transit brakes quite well.

Not defending anybody that charges more time than it takes to do any job. But changing Discs on a (newish) transit is not a straight forward job and can take a lot longer than expected or anticipated. Having freed everything off and then doing it again soon after will result in a much quicker job. Anybody who has done these will know, and know why.

But I know nothing about mechanics, so you say.

So you charge how you want, but dont make stupid statements like traders don't charge by an hourly rate. Whether that rate matches an exact amount of time is irrelevant. Like charging 2 hours amount for 90 minutes, or 4 hours amount for the same isn't the point. Anybody running a (labour based) business knows an hourly cost of their business, or should do, and has to price accordingly.

But those are examples of irritants, but does not excuse a part time day being charged as a full day.

I am struggling think where a day could stretch to 20 hours, unless one said it is £xx per day and will take one day. That stops being a day rate and becomes a quote.

But it is fair to say that a lot of people will want the best of both worlds / which is we by I BBC was always happier being completely clear at the outset

Well we will agree to disagree
And leave it that

Thats amusing. You show your (lack of ) knowledge of Transit brakes quite well.

Not defending anybody that charges more time than it takes to do any job. But changing Discs on a (newish) transit is not a straight forward job and can take a lot longer than expected or anticipated. Having freed everything off and then doing it again soon after will result in a much quicker job. Anybody who has done these will know, and know why.

But I know nothing about mechanics, so you say.

So you charge how you want, but dont make stupid statements like traders don't charge by an hourly rate. Whether that rate matches an exact amount of time is irrelevant. Like charging 2 hours amount for 90 minutes, or 4 hours amount for the same isn't the point. Anybody running a (labour based) business knows an hourly cost of their business, or should do, and has to price accordingly.
Shut up you tart!
I can change brakes on any VAG 4 corners blindfolded without a ramp in 1 hour.
We all know you and your tactics, himmy.
You're not talking to retarded kids here, most of us have been around and done shyt, not sit our arse on a chair all our life like you.

Shut up you tart!
I can change brakes on any VAG 4 corners blindfolded without a ramp in 1 hour.
We all know you and your tactics, himmy.
You're not talking to retarded kids here, most of us have been around and done shyt, not sit our arse on a chair all our life like you.
I bow to your superior knowledge.

It was a TRANSIT that was mentioned. But if you can do 4 corners on a vag blindfolded in an hour then I think that statement says it all

Sponsored Links
Back