paypal phishing attempt

H

holmslaw

Be warned, just nearly been the victim of a phishing attempt on my paypal account. Luckily all they got was my password, which I immediately changed.

They nearly got me because it coincided with the arrival of a new debit card and me being half asleep. :)

Sponsored Links
Yes I almost did that once holmslaw...they make it look so convincing....easy to be taken in....it does make you twice as careful next time.
I now have some security on my email that acually turfs out the fake ones and highlights the 'real' ones in green so that is helpful.

Be warned, just nearly been the victim of a phishing attempt on my paypal account. Luckily all they got was my password, which I immediately changed.

They nearly got me because it coincided with the arrival of a new debit card and me being half asleep. :)

How did this happen exactly ? - Have you got a Paypal Debit Card ???

Got an email, and the subject line said 'Online PayPal User Agreement Service Update‏'. So I assumed it was sent because my card details were out of date, and I needed to register the new card details. So I clicked the link in the email and went to an exact copy of the paypal login page, entered my email and password and was taken to another page where they were asking for all my details to be entered, including name and adrress. Thats when I got suspicious, went back and read the email and realised the english was not perfect.

Went to the real paypal site and changed my password, and the site also advised that any communication from them would always use my full name, my email said 'Dear paypal customer'.

Heres the text below, note the dodgy english, basterds

Online PayPal User Agreement Service Update‏
06/03/2012
From: email link removed, it was the proper paypal address.
Sent: 06 March 2012 20:40:33
To: [email protected]

NOTICE OF CHANGES TO THE PAYPAL USER AGREEMENT

Dear PayPal Customer,

Please Note, Your Online PayPal Account have one new security message.

Due to recent changes we have made for safety and integrity.

This issue must be resolved now, otherwise your account will be suspension.

Please follow the link below to update your account: Here to managing your Account

This verification will allow us to activate new features for your account on our system.

Yours Sincerely,

PayPal .

Sponsored Links
Dear PayPal Customer,

This verification will allow us to activate new features for your account on our system.

Paypal never send emails saying dear customer.
Only by using your full name or business name.

Or ask for sensitive information like your password, bank account, or credit card details.

Two things

Never ever click on a link from an email for financial or any other similar account type management. Its OK for adverts from companies but nothing else. Always go via the main site by typing the address into a browser - even if the email is genuine

Second, get a browser or client that warns you if the email may not be from the stated recipient, or shows the actual link address when you hover over a link

I get similar ones from banks saying I have to change my login details for upgrade purposes. Santander, Natwest, Barclays, RBS etc,, non of whom I bank with. Usually just delete them , but sometimed forward them to the relevant banks, security dept.
I'm currently receiving some from the Better Business Bureau (in the good old US of A ) advising me that a customer in Virginia has made a complaint about me :eek:
I just hope its' not that chap who works in a certain US govt department in Langley. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just a quickie on a similar subject....I have just spoken to a friend who received texts on her mobile phone headed lottery....just by accepting the text although she was deleting it straight away she was charged £4 every time the text came....something else to be careful of :eek:

I get phishing scam emails almost daily:
Paypal
HMRC
Banking
even Amazon and websites I never bought from.

I also got one and as other posters say it will always say Dear Your name and not customer or anything else generic

Two things

Never ever click on a link from an email for financial or any other similar account type management. Its OK for adverts from companies but nothing else. Always go via the main site by typing the address into a browser - even if the email is genuine

Second, get a browser or client that warns you if the email may not be from the stated recipient, or shows the actual link address when you hover over a link
QFA

Sponsored Links
Back