PE magazine

Sponsored Links
Oh Dear. The first appears very OTT, but the second is, surely, just plain wrong?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I thought the "Institution of Mechanical Engineers" was a respected organisation it seems odd they have allowed this to appear in there magazine?

But look at E&T and the article on books or screen does not seem to have much to do with engineering or technology.

Wiring Matters has also from time to time had what I would consider errors. But in the main even rather dated articles like the "Electrical Installations outdoors : A supply to a detached outbuilding" still has useful advice even if published in Autumn 2005.

I wondered why the IEE became IET and dropped the "Electrical" in the title now I see why clearly the "Institution of Mechanical Engineers" has lost it's direction.

I have obviously been doing things completely wrong all these years and I feel a fool for misleading countless hundreds of customers about ingress protection.

It's strange how they then go on to talk about protection against ingress....

This was an article written by napit :eek:

It's strange how they then go on to talk about protection against ingress.... This was an article written by napit :eek:
Quite apart from the terminology/vocabulary, one has to wonder where on earth that bizarre (and clearly incorrect) version of the IP coding system came from - it defies belief that the author could have simply 'made it up'!

Kind Regards, John

Although the meter and head seems to be fixed to a standard meter board the isolator is connected to the inside of the sinks shell. This would require disconnection of mains supply so either fitted by DNO or by an electrician and the DNO would have to re-sealed the fuse. So the DNO should have been aware of where their equipment was in relation to the sink.

I can't see where the immediate danger is? I can see that should there be a water leak there is no provision to isolate else where with a waste disposal unit one can isolate should there be a leak until the repair has been completed.

So Code 2 may be but I find it hard to say you can fit a waste disposal unit there but not the DNO head. It is an interesting problem.

The entire installation is fixed to the wall. The cupboard has no back. The horizontal things you can see which look like cupboardy bits are YT4 trunkings.

The only thing I can think that has been assessed as being wrong is the fact it's under a sink, which is not a problem.

To deem it a code 1 is outrageous, and the fact that the article even mentions that it's been like this without issue for 5 years further confirms this.

I remember an article in this very publication about a year ago criticising internet forums for giving electrical advice. At least the advice we give is correct :rolleyes:

The only thing I can think that has been assessed as being wrong is the fact it's under a sink, which is not a problem. ... To deem it a code 1 is outrageous ...
Quite so. I suppose my initial comment of "very OTT" was really understating the craziness!

Kind REgards, John

I thought the "Institution of Mechanical Engineers" was a respected organisation it seems odd they have allowed this to appear in there magazine?

But look at E&T and the article on books or screen does not seem to have much to do with engineering or technology.

Wiring Matters has also from time to time had what I would consider errors. But in the main even rather dated articles like the "Electrical Installations outdoors : A supply to a detached outbuilding" still has useful advice even if published in Autumn 2005.

I wondered why the IEE became IET and dropped the "Electrical" in the title now I see why clearly the "Institution of Mechanical Engineers" has lost it's direction.

Lost its direction - did that years ago, it is an organisation funded by engineers but run by employers of engineers - when will my colleagues learn that this is not a route to riches.

Have not seen this in PE and typeface looks different - are there two different PE magazines?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back