Lets write a reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said - you hope that by attempting to evade and trivialise this discussion you'll be OK.

You won't of course, you'll just look like someone repeatedly refusing to answer a question because he doesn't want to have to face up to the answer he'd have to give.

Sponsored Links
As I said - you hope that by attempting to evade and trivialise this discussion you'll be OK.

You won't of course, you'll just look like someone repeatedly refusing to answer a question because he doesn't want to have to face up to the answer he'd have to give.

you have persistently repeated your dogmatic piece with no effort or consideration to the shades of grey of the real world and the failings in part P that I and others are attempting to discuss.

Unfortunately we are unable/unwilling to view the world in black and white perfection so feel free to consider this a "won" argument, and therefore no need exists for you to repeat your piece for the seventeenth time.

BAS all part p competent schemes register rubbish.They are about money and making it the NIC have always been guilty of that.Before this part p they just wanted your four hundred quid its actually nice to see they are doing something to earn it now.
The facts are its all about your money these schemes are run by salesmen and women who have not got a clue about electrical work.
And the fact is it takes more than a 17th edition cert to be a competent sparks.It should of been left with the JIB and register of uk electricians.If DIYer want to do thier own work on thier own property then that would be fine as long as they take responsibility for it.E.g test it and sign for it

you have persistently repeated your dogmatic piece with no effort or consideration to the shades of grey of the real world and the failings in part P that I and others are attempting to discuss.
Shades of grey?

Is BS 7671 vague on the subject of testing and issuing certificates?

Are the Building Regulations vague on the subject of notification?

And what does any of this have to do with Part P?

Testing? That was in BS 7671 before Part P, wasn't it? Do you not think people should comply with it?

Issuing certificates? That was in BS 7671 before Part P, wasn't it? Do you not think people should comply with it?

Being insured? Wasn't that good professional practice before Part P? And wasn't it a requirement for NICEIC etc membership before Part P?

Complying with the law? Wasn't that good professional practice before Part P?

Keeping skills up to date? Wasn't that good professional practice before Part P?

Unfortunately we are unable/unwilling to view the world in black and white perfection so feel free to consider this a "won" argument, and therefore no need exists for you to repeat your piece for the seventeenth time.
I'm afraid there is.

For as long as you continue to criticise me for suggesting that disregarding the Wiring Regulations, disregarding the law, not being insured and not keeping skills up to date are not the hallmarks of a skilled and knowledgeable professional I'm going to continue to ask you to explain just why you think they are.

Sponsored Links
If DIYer want to do thier own work on thier own property then that would be fine as long as they take responsibility for it.E.g test it and sign for it

I disagree, most diyers do not care about testing, design, verification etc etc. and most diyers wont own insulation tester etc,

Most diyers just care about COST and they will take the cheaper option everytime. Not to mention the fact a lot of DIYers dont know what they are doing. I've lost count of the times i have gone to jobs and found situation where wiring systems are accidents waiting to happen. All because of the attitude of some diyers "if it works its ok"

There used to be a "Pit Trained" electrician where I work (school).

I remember one day I was called to have a look at a computer that was tripping the rooms RCD whenever anyone tried to turn it on, it turned out to be a line earth reversal at the socket.

More recently I had a problem where kids were getting "zapped" when they touched from one PC case to another, this turned out to be a broken CPC which had occured when the guy had taken a spur from one of the sockets.

Luckily no one was harmed in either case with these faults, but if the circuits had been I & T'd properly there would never have been a risk.

It should of been left with the JIB and register of uk electricians.
So are JIB electricians allowed to not bother testing or certifying their work?

Is it OK for them to break the law?

Is it OK for them not to be properly insured?

A JIB electrician approaching retirement age could well have done all his apprenticeship and qualifications when the 13th was current - would JIB have allowed him to sail along, not bothering with the 14th, the 15th, the 16th, the 17th?

*yawn*

They didn't say that and you know it. Is that soap box nailed to your boots?

They criticised me for saying it's not OK, which can only mean they think it is.

If they agreed with me they wouldn't have laid into me for writing something they agreed with, surely?

Thanks for the hijack chaps.

Really appreciate it. :rolleyes:

I am going to request the moderators lock this thread, and I'll ask my dad to help me write a letter or something.

if the circuits had been I & T'd properly there would never have been a risk.
But it's OK not to test, or issue certificates, according to hairyben and Top Trumper...

Well, I can't agree with that.

Mistakes are made by the best of people especially when tired and overworked. Proper testing picks up these faults and saves lives.

As a Diy'er i've gone to the trouble of purchasing suitable test equipment, having it calibrated and learning how to perform tests and interpret results I don't see that this is too much to ask of a professional electrician.

The "this is how i've always done it" attitude is plain ignorant, things have moved along for the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back