Plastic bit on pull cord switches is for insulation/saftey reasons?

Sponsored Links
Actually I recall that pull switches used to be a chain that forever broke and needed replacing before the string took over and at the time it was a smooth natural fibre like cotton which was equally vulnerable to breakage.

I think I half remember them or part of them being made from those chromed metal beads, sometimes seen linking bath plug to the bath overflow.

I’ve stopped watching this guys videos. He gets me too wound up. He presents himself as the best and most knowledgeable sparks in the world, yet does average quality installs, and gets things wrong time and time again.

I seem to remember one where he was fitting some TPN sockets in SWA and it looked complete rubbish way he dressed the cable into it

Sponsored Links
I think I half remember them or part of them being made from those chromed metal beads, sometimes seen linking bath plug to the bath overflow.
That's the stuff, and they would open up and fail, especially where it entered the housing.

Ever seen a plastic bit on the pull cord of a wall mounted bathroom fan heater?
Surely it's to allow the public to replace the cord when dirty or bleaching.

Deffo an electrical insulator.

Loads of steam makes the string wet and gets into the switch.

They didn't used to be fitted and shock reports used to occur.

Totally pukka.

Does that mean that steam cannot condense of the surface of the plastic connector?
:rolleyes:

Ever seen a plastic bit on the pull cord of a wall mounted bathroom fan heater?.
Yep on the original [pre 1998 when I purchased the flat] and the replacement 3 years ago.
And also on the extractor fan.

I wouldn't put my tenants at risk by omitting them.

I am still not sure if you are being humourous - but if not, then:

If, as you seem to think, the cord is an exposed-conductive-part then it should be earthed.
Might you suggest how this could be achieved?

Perhaps another piece of string connecting the cord and the earth terminal?

I am still not sure if you are being humourous - but if not, then:

If, as you seem to think, the cord is an exposed-conductive-part then it should be earthed.

Perhaps another piece of string connecting the cord and the earth terminal?
Who are you referring to?

God forbid that this little piece of plastic can have dual functionality....

then it should be earthed.

Clamp the end of the cord to a water pipe, use an Earth clamp wit "Do Not Remove " label.

When the cord it touched by a human hand it should be considered as two sections with different functions

Section 1 the section of cord between the the point of contact with a human hand and the switch

Section 2 the section of cord between the the point of contact with a human hand and the clamp to the pipe.

Section 1 must be kept non conductive to prevent electric shock hazard

Section 2 must be kept conductive to ensure it operates an effective bonding for section 1

Hence Section 1 should be kept dry while Section 2 would be conductive if kept wet.

The answer to safe bathroom switching could be found HERE

God forbid that this little piece of plastic can have dual functionality....
Who knows - but of very limited value if one of the 'functionalities' is both silly and unnecessary!

Th LFB might prefer the pull cords made of bare 'non-combustible' material (probably ferrous metal), rather than string.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back