Please help, not sure if i have been ripped off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've just had a new heating system installed and it cost me £2500 but when i checked the price of my new combi boiler it was around £850 and am i right in think that a heating & plumbing company would get this even cheaper at trade prices? It took 2 of them a day to install it and they had to reroute the pipes so i could have the new boiler in a slightly different place but i know one of them was only a trainee who was at college. Also i checked the price of the room thermostat controller and found that it was only £35 and it didn't even have a holiday setting. So even with extra copper piping and a few other bits, the total cost of everything was around £1000, so i have been charged £1500 in labour costs, surely this is high or am i wrong. The cheap thermostat controller really upset me as this is controlling everything and i'm not even sure the digital temperature on it is accurate. I would appreciate any input, thanks...Mick

Sponsored Links
How big is the property and were any radiators included in price, if so how many?
Was it all done in copper?
Was everything accessible, nothing in the way?

Just because it only took two days and the plumber and his mate were not there all week, does not mean you have been ripped off!

Sorry you have not given us enough information:

What system was in before
Was the system working
How many quotes did you have
Where did you get the installer from
Was everything in writing
As said where was the boiler moved to
Would you have come on this forum if you think you had underpaid.

Sponsored Links
You havnt included chemicals, flue, flue parts? Fittings, Vat
Not enough info

Some installers are a lot quicker than others, I know a pair that work together and although they don't flush the system, they can do two in a day between them.

The job I'm finishing today is about £1200 plus Vat labour and i started that yesterday which was an easy day.

There are a lot of overheads and responsibility that go with being a gas engineer, it's not all gravy, you are also paying for the knowledge and not just the time taken.

Was the price comparable to other quotes you received?

No you haven't been ripped off... you obviously agreed to the price as you asked them to do the work.

As for the thermostat well what do you expect... most decent boilers have their own proprietary controllers that do a better job..

Unfortunately we live in a technophobic world where people only care about their heating when it goes wrong...and then the whole affair becomes a crisis purchase which means you end up with value engineering, as opposed to real engineering which would be a decent timer/thermostat.

at the end of the day whilst people trivialise heating technology thats what you will get!

If it had taken 3 weeks would you of given him any more money?

He gave you a quote and you said yes.

Normally customers want you out of their house asap.

Andy

You agreed a price before he started work so no, you havent been ripped off. He has done what he said he would for the price he said.

Did you get a few quotes before you had the work done?

Price is probably about right for the higher priced charged in London and the surrounding area.

I've just had some central heating work done......

Initial thought......Massive Rip-Off.

Careful thought......
Cost of qualifying.
buying tools.
gaining knowledge.
buying van.
van insurance.
tyres / fuel.
working clothes / boots.
time ordering / collecting parts.
time for billing / accounts.
paying pension.
liability insurance.
Gas-safe charges.
soaking wet fitting flues.

I looked at what I was charged for doing something which seemed relatively easy
from my engineering background and thought......
"How much would I charge if I was making a living from this?"

After careful thought......seemed OK.

Ian.

Careful thought......
Cost of qualifying.
buying tools.
gaining knowledge.
buying van.
van insurance.
tyres / fuel.
working clothes / boots.
paying pension.
liability insurance.
Gas-safe charges.

Ian.

So you charge the customer for the things you get tax relief on, nice one. :LOL:

So you charge the customer for the things you get tax relief on, nice one. :LOL:[/quote]

You clearly have no understanding of the concept of "tax releif"

Or simply no understanding :rolleyes:
whatever3.gif

Careful thought......
Cost of qualifying.
buying tools.
gaining knowledge.
buying van.
van insurance.
tyres / fuel.
working clothes / boots.
paying pension.
liability insurance.
Gas-safe charges.

Ian.

So you charge the customer for the things you get tax relief on, nice one. :LOL:

I'm not in the business, I was just guessing and trying to "defend"
what seem (initially) to be very high figures. If I was running a plumbing service, I wouldn't want to run it at a loss.

Johnmelad, where does the money come from that pays for the business essentials. I do not get tax man coming to me and saying 'here is 10 grand for tools and a crappy van'

I have to earn £10k before I can put bread on the table :confused: :confused:

OP if you agreed the price, system work well and guy will come back to keep it working, then no, you have not been ripped off. Would you have known what boiler to buy and what peripherals to hook up to it to get it working?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back