Please help! Reaching out to all plumbers..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Firstly, if you’ve come this far, thank you!
Today my family and I woke up to a few rather large wet patches in the ceiling of our kitchen and living room (both dripping slowly in to the rooms). I traced the leak up a floor in to our airing cupboard which has the boiler in. In here I noticed the leak, which is a steady continuous drip, was dropping off the bottom of a copper pipe which leads out from the boiler and up in to the attic. I went up in to the and found the pipe which comes out from above the boiler, it then has a 90 degree joiner piece and a further piece of piping which heads out in a diagonal across the attic. Now here is the puzzling part (for me anyway), it then stops at a complete dead end, it has some sort of stopper cap fitted to the end and thus leads no where else. The location in which it comes to an end is directly above our shower room (with only an electric shower fitted). So my guess, (which is definitely an uneducated one, is that before our electric shower existed, a shower or bath was in its place which had a direct water line from the boiler - and that when the replacement electric shower was fitted, this is where the plumber decided to cut the pipe.

My major question is, would it be safe for me to cut the pipe back even further, to before the leaking joint, and fit another cap to it? Hopefully, solving our leak.

Please, if anyone can lend any advise it would be so greatly appreciated. So in advance, thank you!

I hope I have been descriptive enough, if not, please feel free to ask me any questions.

One last thing; I have temporarily fixed the leak with about 1/1.5 meters of self-fusing tape (it’s a thing to behold), will this be able to withstand the pressure? So far it looks good but realise it probably won’t work permanently.

Photos attached: end of pipe and bodged self fuse tape fix.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 9ADE53ED-8428-4828-829A-B5FB071768D4.jpeg
    9ADE53ED-8428-4828-829A-B5FB071768D4.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
End of pipe in attic.

Attachments

• 1D456DBC-DCAD-403E-B5A0-B645AB907626.jpeg
    1D456DBC-DCAD-403E-B5A0-B645AB907626.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 116
I am not a plumber, but yes, that's fine. The normal advice from those that know is that long 'dead legs' are a bad thing. I'd go back to near the boiler and leave 15cm or so just in case I wanted to join something on at a later date.

You'll need to drop the pressure in the hot water system, cut the pipe using a pipe cutter, not just a hacksaw, then put a stop end on it.

Compression fittings are easy as are push fit ones, most professionals seem to prefer soldered copper but it's a lot harder for novices to get started.

Sponsored Links
Yes remove dead leg in system. Is it the boiler or hot water cylinder?

Back