Please put me at ease

Do you have a source I can refer to for best practice controls here

Sponsored Links
I can't get a full data sheet up , but it seems there is only 1 pair of connections for heat input. This means that you need to have a piece of kit on the lines of a Dunsley neutralizer, to stop each heat source feeding the other. I still think you need a separate pump on the boiler circs controlled by astat on the heatstore , to that on the heating circuit, otherwise, when the boiler is up to temperature, you will have no heating. It may be worth looking at the principles of Under floor Heating to get an idea of circuits and control.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have an interest in this thead as I have in the long distant past installed a few dual heat source systems involving oil boiler and wood burner so have lost touch with modern practices.

The link the op has pointed to seems to suggest its a sealed system heat store, with 2x 15mm coils, have
i read that right?

The link the op has pointed to seems to suggest its a sealed system heat store, with 2x 15mm coils, have
i read that right?[/QUOTE]
The way I see it is that there is a heating coil, a 15mm coil/dhw heat exchanger, and the flow and return connections. If he only has one pump and that is on the boiler. Without a system schematic, I cant see how he gets circulation through the radiators unless the wodburner feeds the coil, and the pump circulates the total contents of the sludge bucket through the radiators and the boiler.

i read that right?
The way I see it is that there is a heating coil, a 15mm coil/dhw heat exchanger, and the flow and return connections. If he only has one pump and that is on the boiler. Without a system schematic, I cant see how he gets circulation through the radiators unless the wodburner feeds the coil, and the pump circulates the total contents of the sludge bucket through the radiators and the boiler.[/QUOTE]
Having read up on thermal stores I can see the way they work seem @rs& backward to what I know so will continue to view with interest.

Afaik this is a VENTED tank as there are certain regulatory requirements when integrating an uncontrolled heat source ie log burner.

Here is a good reference
I have an interest in this thead as I have in the long distant past installed a few dual heat source systems involving oil boiler and wood burner so have lost touch with modern practices.

i read that right?
Afaik this thermal store is an open vented tank, it MUST be as there is a log burner with back boiler connected, and regs say no way should you be connecting an uncontrolled heat source to a unvented tank.

Now what confused me was im sure my plumber said our CH system was pressurised which i don't get. It would mean a secondary coil surely.

Some good info here

https://www.mcdonaldwaterstorage.com/products/thermal-store

Yes similar I was using the above just for reference also. OK spoke to RM Cylinders our supplier, seems my TS has two coils as I distinctly remember the plumber mentioning our CH circuit is pressurized and the TS is vented. Therefore similar but we have two coils I guess, one to heat water from boiler CH circuit, one take heat for domestic hot water, and the other tap directly to surrounding water in tank unvented store heated by solid fuel log burner.

https://www.rgbltd.co.uk/media/cont.../rm-cylinders-thermal-store-brochure-2014.pdf

Mine is page 15/16 a Flowtherm SSB Eco

Spoke to RM Cylinders whilst the chap was polite and happy to give detail on the model wasn't happy to supply any typical install schematics.

Last edited:
I would have thought posting that misinformation wasted the time of the plumbers here who were trying to help ??

Hi Lost, see above i posted https://www.advancedwater.co.uk/prod-528-088-2114.html showing my tank was all i had to go on at that time until i had prized more information, so i don't think i was posting anything misleading, schematics i posted were for reference not actual, or you stirring, put your spoon away ;) I proceeded to post a more detailed precise reference after (Flowtherm SSB Eco), i hope i haven't offended or mislead anyone here?!

Ok an update for anyone interested.

First of all my plumber did a runner on me. I had lost my patience after waiting 7 weeks and paying him 95 percent of his money up front he didn't like it when I said I wanted it finished this week. Walked away with a badly leaking bottom connector caused by him attempting to fix a leaking compression joint which in turn twisted the solderered joint. And left us with no heating as we ran out of oil as he was paid to move the tank also.

Anyway a very professional local plumber stepped in and fixed this issue foc and will help me rectify the other issues.

The thing is I shouldn't be on here trying to understand what takes people like you lot years to master but my plumber just instilled me with zero confidence esp when he was plumbing the heat leak circuit he had no idea about and was using ptfe on the compression joints to the Log burner :( and until prompted running the pipes from log burner downards to skirting first.Luckily it was picked up on and corrected. So I'm in the process of trying to reclaim some money as it transpired he wired it as a conventional system not a hybrid as I requested and when I started to realise this and raise the issue he did a runner.

Moving on now I've fitted a small thermometer to measure the heat store temps just to check it's not going to 'kettle' and all is good. I had a few comments my log burner was too small too big heat store too small. But I've found so far..

With Log burner running i observed the following:

Thermal store max temp about 83-85deg c.
Running a Bath drops by about 10degrees c
Running a Shower about 5 degrees c

Fired up central heating pump which basically pumps pressurised circuit through secondary coil in heat store. Temps held ok hovering around 72 degrees without falling. So in essence all looks good.

This little 3quid thermometer of Amazon has been a revelation demonstrating how well my store is functioning despite how it was all left for example see attached pic no strap to the stat thermometer I found it on the floor not even pushed into the hacked hole looks like he used a spoon to cut it out.

So we just need to tweak the system to work as a hybrid and I'm almost there.

Attachments

• 20181109_215759.jpg
    20181109_215759.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back