Plod has 'regrets'...

Sponsored Links
Nothing has changed in law other than some tightening of the loopholes around static protests.

The police do make mistakes, sometimes you get wrongfully detained for 13 hours and sometimes [thankfully very rarely] you get shot 5 times in the head. It does not make the law wrong.

People have a right to protest, it would have been very easy to keep them to a specific area away from the supporters.
The new laws are fundamentally different, in that noise and disruption are now grounds for arrest. Basically the two ingredients of any protest. Also lots of terms are left vague and undefined, ready for the police to choose the most generous definition they like.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the over-reaction was planned, intentional and knowingly wrong, all hiding behind a "whoopsie" pretend misunderstanding. The purpose was to remove people who might make Charles look less glorious, and also to give a warning shot to others.

Basically they're happy to have unjustifiably removed 64 people they didn't like for the duration, and will be happy to chuck them a few grand in compensation afterwards.

But are we happy that this is how the establishment works?

They did have a specific area, all pre-arranged over 4 months with the police. They were arrested in this area.

Nothing has changed in law other than some tightening of the loopholes around static protests.

The police do make mistakes, sometimes you get wrongfully detained for 13 hours and sometimes [thankfully very rarely] you get shot 5 times in the head. It does not make the law wrong.

People have a right to protest, it would have been very easy to keep them to a specific area away from the supporters.
that is the issue.

Sponsored Links
I saw Odds parked close to car approaching a pub today. It would be reasonable to arrest him on suspicion of being one of the people who might potentially be a drink-driver later, right?
Preposterous.

Now you're just doing a Mot' and makin' stuff up as you go along...me, goin' to the pub at that time o' day; i should coco: how would you recognise me, old bean?

that is the issue.
Yes, people have a right to protest and yes, people have a right to enjoy the event without having a bunch of unwashed 'erberts shouting profanities in their face. Who takes precedence?
The majority.
This is Democracy.

Monarchy and democracy in the same paragraph.

Democracy works because of opposition views being allowed, not removed
Those views are allowed. According to the law, as Motorbiking has already explained.
You don't like the law, protest about it.

Highly likely to be a case of wrongful arrest and false imprisonment.

An officer arrests based on suspicion/witnessing a crime etc. Once he becomes aware that he has made a mistaken identity he must rapidly de-arrest.

They used to be allowed to toss them in the river and see if they floated, but that freedom has been repealed - bl**dy human rights lawyers.

Highly likely to be a case of wrongful arrest and false imprisonment.

An officer arrest based on suspicion/witnessing a crime etc. Once he becomes aware that he has made a mistaken identity he must rapidly de-arrest.
She can always join the queue of litigants against the Met.

They will settle - it will be enough for her to have nice holiday.

Is that another version of 'talk to the hand'? :unsure:
pretty much.

she got arrested just by being near people who had different views to her own. Doesn't sound like people were being arrested for protesting, but just for being there. That isn't democracy.

Sponsored Links
Back