Plug socket in plastic box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was just about to change a white plastic plug socket for a nice new chrome plug socket, un-screwed the socket from the wall only to find the box it screws to is also plastic, ive never come across this before, where do i earth the new chrome socket to?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you mean, the earth wire goes into the earth terminal on the socket whether it be plastic or metal.

Do i need to put an earth cable in from the socket to the mounting box? in my case the mounting box (stuck in the wall) is plastic, and has no earth screw.

Plastic is an insulator, some plastic boxes have an earth terminal for convenience. There is no point in trying to earth a plastic box.

Sponsored Links
so what do i do? wire the new socket in like the old 1 and dont worry about the earth? also the old socket has 1 earth cable but its a double socket, should the both be earthed?

Yes, just wire it in like the old one.
The earth in the two sockets will be connected internally.

It sounds like a "cavity box" which do not normally have earth terminals. As already said just connect the earth to the terminal on the new socket. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back