Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a socket in the bathroom which has gone dead. I can tell this is not on a ring main as it only has one set of wires connected to it, could anyone tell me how I would find out whether it is connected directly to the CU or it is a spur off another socket.

I was going to open all the sockets and check where there is a spur off and then check the sockets that are a spur are dead by removing the wires going to the spur, this would confirm that the bathroom socket is not spurred from any of the other sockets. After this I was going to turn the RCD's off for the sockets and then check every socket, hopefully if they are all off then I could safely say this socket in the bathroom has it's own RCD.

Would I then assume if the RCD is 30/32 amp, these are usually for sockets to find the one that could be running to the bathroom?

My assumption at this point is that there is a break in the wire going to the bathroom socket but I cant tell where the break is and since I have limited access being in a flat with wiring either in the walls or suspended ceiling, I am finding it difficult to simply replace the wire.

Any suggestions/thoughts are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Bav

Sponsored Links
Is it a big bathroom?
When you say "gone dead" do you mean it used to work?

Sockets are not allowed within 3m of a bath or shower so, if a small room, it may have been intentionally disconnected.

I have a socket in the bathroom which has gone dead. I can tell this is not on a ring main as it only has one set of wires connected to it, could anyone tell me how I would find out whether it is connected directly to the CU or it is a spur off another socket.
Presumably not if it is dead.

I was going to open all the sockets and check where there is a spur off and then check the sockets that are a spur are dead by removing the wires going to the spur, this would confirm that the bathroom socket is not spurred from any of the other sockets. After this I was going to turn the RCD's off for the sockets and then check every socket, hopefully if they are all off then I could safely say this socket in the bathroom has it's own RCD.
I think you mean MCB - miniature circuit breaker.
I don't think that makes sense. It is unlikely to be the only socket on a circuit.

Would I then assume if the RCD is 30/32 amp, these are usually for sockets to find the one that could be running to the bathroom?
MCB - yes, but if it is dead it will have no effect.

My assumption at this point is that there is a break in the wire going to the bathroom socket but I cant tell where the break is and since I have limited access being in a flat with wiring either in the walls or suspended ceiling, I am finding it difficult to simply replace the wire.
It is unlikely, but not impossible, to be a broken hidden wire.
Check nearby sockets to see if there is a disconnected cable.

From what you write, I think you would be wise to employ an electrician.

Sponsored Links
No. An RCD would have a rating of 0.03amp. Perhaps you mean an MCB?

But to take a step back. What sort of socket are we talking about? Is this a 13amp type with the square pins, or is it something like a shaver socket. Feel free to post a photo if you are not sure.

Is it a big bathroom?
When you say "gone dead" do you mean it used to work?

Sockets are not allowed within 3m of a bath or shower so, if a small room, it may have been intentionally disconnected.

Presumably not if it is dead.

I think you mean MCB - miniature circuit breaker.
I don't think that makes sense. It is unlikely to be the only socket on a circuit.

MCB - yes, but if it is dead it will have no effect.

It is unlikely, but not impossible, to be a broken hidden wire.
Check nearby sockets to see if there is a disconnected cable.

From what you write, I think you would be wise to employ an electrician.

Yes it is a MCB. It has a fuse switched spur connected where a heater was connected at some point in the past however now disconnected. An electrician came a few weeks ago when it was working and everything is signed off with a electrical cert. I have just checked the cert and can see it was connected on a ring circuit meaning it has been spurred off one of the sockets so either a loose wire or a break in the cable somehow.

No. An RCD would have a rating of 0.03amp. Perhaps you mean an MCB?

But to take a step back. What sort of socket are we talking about? Is this a 13amp type with the square pins, or is it something like a shaver socket. Feel free to post a photo if you are not sure.

Its a fuse switched spur. Apologies for the confusion, its not a socket. The shaver socket has its own connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back