Plug sockets

And before you know it we'll be into the discussion of what is a plug, and what is a socket.
As implied in your post, the situation is confused, confusing and certainly inconsistent.

Tradiionally, I always called anything 'mounted' a socket and anything 'trailing' (attached to a cable) a plug, and then qualified with 'male' and 'female' as necessary (the default being male plug and female socket, for which I generally didn't bother to specify gender). However, I will now talk of 'trailing sockets' or 'line sockets' (and used to call lampholders 'light sockets') - so I, for one, am certainly not consistent.

I'm sure you'll hear all sorts of personal views about this, but I wonder whether there are any official pronouncements or Standards relating to this matter?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
According to Part 2.
A plug is:
An accessory having pins designed to engage with the contacts of a socket outlet and incorporating means for the electrical connection and mechanical retention of a flexible cable or cord.

A socket outlet:
A device provided with female contacts (a bit saucy there!), which is intended to be installed with the fixed wiring and intended to receive a plug.

So what's this?

888-6236.jpg

Sponsored Links
But as for gender... What's the gender of a "plug" which is mechanically male (i.e. it goes inside the receptacle) but the receptacle has shrouded pins which go inside tunnels in the "plug"?
Yes, there's that issue, as well. However, this time I'm pretty clear (and I think consistent) in my mind - but I dare say others differ from my view. In terms of electrical connectors/ plugs/ sockets, I would define gender in terms of the conductive bits that mate to make the electrical connection, regardless of the arrangement of insulation etc.

However, even that can get difficult at times, with what one might think of as hermaphrodite connectors! There are, for example, some types of coaxial connector in which the inner and outer conductors have opposite genders per my normal thinking. In such cases, I think I would probably define gender in terms of the inner ('business') conductor - but that's almost arbitrary.

...and then, of course, there are some types of connector which might be said to have issues of 'gender preference', in as much as the electrical connection is established by the coming together of what might otherwise be thought of as male parts on both sides :)

Kind Regards, John

In terms of electrical connectors/ plugs/ sockets, I would define gender in terms of the conductive bits that mate to make the electrical connection, regardless of the arrangement of insulation etc.

How about the older-type pin & sleeve connectors, still used in North America?

The pins are on the connector which would normally be left live when disconnected, because they are set back into and surrounded by insulating material (this is the receptacle, in American terminology). The plug is the part which has the sleeves which slide into the holes in the receptacle to mate with the pins, but the sleeves are exposed and can be touched when the plug is disconnected.

[However, even that can get difficult at times, with what one might think of as hermaphrodite connectors! There are, for example, some types of coaxial connector in which the inner and outer conductors have opposite genders per my normal thinking. In such cases, I think I would probably define gender in terms of the inner ('business') conductor - but that's almost arbitrary.
ts

In terms of electrical connectors/ plugs/ sockets, I would define gender in terms of the conductive bits that mate to make the electrical connection, regardless of the arrangement of insulation etc.
How about the older-type pin & sleeve connectors, still used in North America?
The pins are on the connector which would normally be left live when disconnected, because they are set back into and surrounded by insulating material (this is the receptacle, in American terminology). The plug is the part which has the sleeves which slide into the holes in the receptacle to mate with the pins, but the sleeves are exposed and can be touched when the plug is disconnected.
As above, if conductive pins are mating with conductive holes into which the pins are inserted, then, in terms of gender, I would always call the pins male and the holes female. The plug and socket question is just a convention matter - except there doesn't appear to be a consistent convention :)

Kind Regards, John.

[However, even that can get difficult at times, with what one might think of as hermaphrodite connectors! There are, for example, some types of coaxial connector in which the inner and outer conductors have opposite genders per my normal thinking. In such cases, I think I would probably define gender in terms of the inner ('business') conductor - but that's almost arbitrary.
{piccie of complex connector}
Exactly. A very good example of a complex hermaphrodite - 10 small male bits, three large male bits and three small femal bits - not to mention the shroud, which is potentially a hermaphrodite in itself! As for whether its a plug or socket, do you have a coin I could toss?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back