Plumbers cocked up boiler install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving into a new place and the boiler install looks very dodgy to say the least

https://postimg.cc/56yqk4KQ
https://postimg.cc/CZTG1jhb
https://postimg.cc/rKHGBB7n
https://postimg.cc/62BCVtG3
https://postimg.cc/G8PqrXvB

1. If I was to get it serviced/gas checked it seems impossible to gain sufficient access e.g. to remove the boilers panels (image 1)

2. The flue is too close to the door (image 2). Without moving the boiler, can I do something about this? Can the fumes be angled in another direction?

2. The boiler pipe/wiring work does not look very good/safe (image 3 & 4)

4. The waste water from the condensate pipe is not going into a drain, it just drips onto the balcony floor. If possible, I would like the condensate pipe to remain outside (image 5)

Are my concerns warranted? And if so, what remedial measures would be needed to get this sorted? Are there other issues I have not picked up?

Sponsored Links
Typical rough illegal install...what paperwork has the vendor supplied to your solicitor?

Typical rough illegal install...what paperwork has the vendor supplied to your solicitor?
I'll have to find out..

Can you confirm what is illegal about it and what remedial works needs doing?

Not serviceable in its current location with that cupboard around it.
Flue clearances may not comply.
Condensate not terminated correctly.
Wiring unsafe.
Given these basic faults there's bound to be several other issues.
Without attending no one can really clarify the situation.

Request the building control notice and benchmark details but it's so rough I'd assume they won't be forthcoming. Budget on a re-install and see what the vendor says.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Regarding the flue, can this be angled upwards/in a direction away from the door?

I remember an old neighbours flue was close to their window and it was angled..

Download the Vaillant Ecotec installation manual...you'll find all the clearance dimensions in there.

Ring gassafe and ask for an inspection. Open a big can of whoopass on the installer.

They couldn't care less...the vendor has to invite them in
OP says ' I'm moving into a new place'
That would suggest they already own it. If the OP has not bought it yet, I would advise to walk away from the purchase, unless it's their dream home and can afford to have the boiler refitted correctly.

From the pics I seriously doubt it's been commissioned therefore classifying the boiler as 'at risk' and should be turned off until it's done.

Can only guess at the other defects on that shcit show.

As said, get your conveyancing solicitor to go medieval on them. Also, if you had a surveyor, I hope to feck he stressed the poor quality of the install otherwise chase him down too.

Annoys the feck out us pro's to be paying our dues to operate only to have this crap go on.

Update:

Turns out that the plumber didn't cock up as the install was compliant with building regs

The flue is at least 300mm away from the door

The only issue is the condensate pipe which is terminating outside

Apparently the condensate pipe was originally inside, however after this work, another tradesman decided to take it outside and box the boiler

The box is to be removed and the condensate pipe will be routed back inside

Thanks for your help guys

Update:

Turns out that the plumber didn't cock up as the install was compliant with building regs

The flue is at least 300mm away from the door

The only issue is the condensate pipe which is terminating outside

Apparently the condensate pipe was originally inside, however after this work, another tradesman decided to take it outside and box the boiler

The box is to be removed and the condensate pipe will be routed back inside

Thanks for your help guys

what about the single insulated wires that come from the switched spur to the jumble of connectors in a metal back box? thats compliant?????
the filling loop is wrong (from what i can see in the picture) if the valve pointing down is attached to the cold water main, then the nonreturn valve is on the heating pipe. which is wrong.

is there a room thermostat fitted? cant see in the jumble of wires. how many cores on the flex going into the boiler? are there two flexes?

who said it meets regs?

Three gas safe engineers.. One even said that if anyone has a complaint, they can take his gas safe number and have a word with him:)

He was such a nice chap

Yes, the wiring is an issue, this is being addressed separately. Once the box surrounding the boiler is removed, the connectors will be removed and switch will go directly into the masonry wall (where it was originally)

I will flag up the filling loop query...

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back