Plumbing Career

recommend this book tells all you need to know about plumbing to level 2 standard. isbn 0-435-40194-7. a lot of the power points you will see will be directly out this book.

technically you don't need any quals to be a plumber ie wet work, just like you don't need quals to be a chippie.

Gas on the other hand is a different ball game this is were a lot of the retraining and staying current takes place. its a shame really because this is the biggest cost to a individual but without it your just a bathroom fitter :LOL:

if you decide to stick to your plans i hope all goes well.

barkie

Sponsored Links
Yes I do fix my own Pc (s) if I can, why do I pay some nerd to do this for £ ???? Most of what I use can be fixed program wise from information from the net, if I have time on my hands.

Had a bank manager once who gave this gem after a quote: I can do it cheaper myself. Well there to go. Off to pub its Sunday after all.

Sponsored Links
well as a plumber with plenty of paper ie c&g/corgi/acs/hvacr/etcetc i am getting the hell out of the industry and taking a pay cut because too many fools entering it who mistakenly think easy money well i can assure you its dirty,smelly uncomfortably,with too many overheads ie van/tools/insurance/corgi/retraining costs acs/waste licence/public liability,loss of personal time due to giving estimates,site surveys etc.but if it is what you want to do good luck and enjoy :LOL:

Go employed. or are you another one of these who is only SE because your to thick to get a job??

well as a plumber with plenty of paper ie c&g/corgi/acs/hvacr/etcetc i am getting the hell out of the industry and taking a pay cut because too many fools entering it who mistakenly think easy money well i can assure you its dirty,smelly uncomfortably,with too many overheads ie van/tools/insurance/corgi/retraining costs acs/waste licence/public liability,loss of personal time due to giving estimates,site surveys etc.but if it is what you want to do good luck and enjoy

Well seven years on and he is still in the plumbing game which is even worse in the current recession.

There are some interesting points in this thread, and I'm sure that it will be of use to others, even if the OP is no longer reading it.

Someone suggested that plumbing and heating are not 'techie' jobs. This is not altogether correct. The business needs people with proper technical knowledge, and more kudos for these people. It can be highly rewarding, as my youngest son said after I'd done a load of work for him, 'Gosh, Dad, you get an instant feedback in this work, don't you?'

To those considering a career in heating and plumbing, my advice is to read and learn all you can about it, including makes and models of boilers and the very clever control systems. You will need to learn good diagnostic skills, and an empathy with prospective customers. Some customers will have their own ideas of what they want, and this can take some understanding, because sometimes it takes a little detective work to find out what they really, really want.

You will need good organisational skills as well as self-motivation. There is a mass of legislation to know about, covering your responsibilities to the customers, employees, and the general public. The only really successful guys I have met are those who have formed effective partnerships in twos.

A formal apprenticeship is a good way in, but there are other ways. You may be able to work alongside someone out of office hours, looking and listening as well as doing.

Show an interest in all you see - it's fascinating!

I do boiler repairs rather than plumbing. That requires a good training and experience.

Unfortunately, many of the public lump us together with "plumbers". Whilst that should not be a problem in itself, the reality is that plumbers have a popular image as being uneducated, dirty, and overcharging cowboys who do any job badly!

images

Oh dear! Are you unable to understand the words which I wrote?

I was reporting the public image of "plumbers" which in their view includes anyone who repair boilers! Not what the reality is!

Some plumbers and some boiler engineers are highly skilled. But also some ar not! Because the trade is not as regulated as solicitors, accountants or chiropodists there is wider variance amongst "plumbers".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back