Plywood base for worktop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a tiled worktop for a kitchen island and using 9mm, hardwood faced, plywood for the base. On top of this I am laying 300mm x 300mm porcelain tiles, (6mm thick if I recall correctly).

There will be no taps/sink fitted in the island. It will basically be a food prep area used for cutting veg, peeling, mixing etc. I am planning on using a waterproof adhesive and waterproof grout to finish. Do I need to seal the plywood surface first?

I will be fitting a 90º edging strip to cover the edge of the plywood but did think about giving the edge a coat of pva beforehand as an additional protection.

Sponsored Links
I would say seal it. Grout isn't always 100% and kitchens tend to have water splashed over them from time to time, so it won't harm to give ot a bit more protection

Wouldn't you need a flexible perimeter seal to the edge strip, not grout? Or at least between the edge strip and ply.

Wouldn't you need a flexible perimeter seal to the edge strip, not grout? Or at least between the edge strip and ply.
Do you mean something like a bead of silicone along the edge of the ply?

Sponsored Links
If you are fitting a timber edge trim flush with the tiles, the grout will crack against it.

If you are willing to accept that, you'll need to guard against moisture getting in it.

Needs 18mm ply minimum, 9mm will flex and release tiles .6mm tile is a little thin for top anything heavy dropped is likely to crack them.
Used 10mm tile (60x60)on top of old worktop many years ago which worked well , butted together with a bead of clear silicon , no grout, more hygienic surface .

Last edited:
If you are fitting a timber edge trim flush with the tiles, the grout will crack against it.

If you are willing to accept that, you'll need to guard against moisture getting in it.
It's a plastic trim edge. Will that be ok?

As foxhole has said, 9mm ply sounds far too thin. Also bear in mind that porcelain tiles are heavy, so that's quite a load even before you start tenderising steaks on the worktop.

Think I'll put a second layer on top at 90 degrees.
Thanks guys.

Consider epoxy grout (non- white). It will not stain with cooking oils etc.

Mapei do about 14 different colours.

It is very sticky stuff, so look for youtube vids of working with epoxy grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back