pool heater

Sponsored Links
lash up a solar heater..

water pump, long hosepipe, 2 large single rads painted black and left where the sun can get at them and whatever connectors you need..

;)

Help!
i was sold a heater without being told i need to be an electrician to wire it up.
Before you bought it did you read the bit on the website where it says:

"THIS HEATER NEEDS TO BE CONNECTED TO A SUITABLE POWER SUPPLY CAPABLE OF SUPPLYING 23 AMPS CONTINUOUSLY."

?

Thanks all, gonna get a 3kw heater, it will do the job.
How much water does the pool hold?

Have you worked out how long it will take a 3kW heater to warm it sufficiently when first filled?

Does the pool have a cover? Do the makers tell you what heat loss rate you will experience at different air temperatures?

How far away from the nearest electricity supply will the pool be?

lash up a solar heater..

water pump, long hosepipe, 2 large single rads painted black and left where the sun can get at them and whatever connectors you need..

;)

Lash up for a solar heater my foot.

That's a DIY rust generator.

Sponsored Links
thx 4 replies :)
fk me, £500? as an average? fk that, i think i will get the 3kw heater instead :)

I just found out a family friend is a sparky but will still charge lots :(

have you even considered the running costs!!!
3kw = 30p an hour at 10p a unit or £2.40 -£7.20 a day £16.80-£50 a week
£218-£655per quarter
lower figure assumes an average 1kwh at 10p per unit higher figure assumes an average 3kwh at 10p per unit
and if you go for 5kwh that increses to £1.092 per quarter

OP, obviously this heater is going to be expensive to run, especially given that it's going to have to be switched on more or less permanently to maintain any sort of reasonable temperature in the pool. This is also the case with many hot tubs and spas, which probably contain significantly less water than your pool.

If you must use a portable heater and can afford the running costs, at least put aside £50 or so to purchase a blue 16A CEE17/Commado plug and socket, along with some arctic flex and a 13A plug. You can then at least make a weatherproof extension lead, rather than relying on trailing sockets outdoors where water and children may be present.

There is a lack of cash here but apparently no thought being applied - or real effort being used to get an answer ( don't see this forum as effort)

If this pool is 4m ( rounded up) x 2m x 1 m ( frequent ratios) , it contains 8,000 litres pof water.

It takes 0.001164 kW to raise the temp of 1 l of water by 1 o C so that is 0.001164 x 8,000 = 9.3 kW to heat this pool by 1 C.

If incoming water is at 10 C ( often used fig so guess reasonable) and he wants a min temp of 18C, then the energy is 8 x 9.3 kW = 74 kW.

Initially threfore the 3 kW heater would have to run continuously for 24+ hrs to put out that energy, so initial cost of pnds 5-7 in first day depending on what/if any cheap rate energy deal off-peak.

Energy losses.

None to the air until it falls below 18 C which is likely for at least 12 hrs per day

Ground is at 10 C under pool and has a surface area of 8 m2. It will therefore suck out way more than 10W/m2 ( based on U value 10 mm wood as base , as no idea what it actually is ) per degree difference between ground and water.

So if the water gets to 18C then the ground will suck out :

8 (area) x 10 ( heat loss in W/m2) x 8 ( temp diff ground to water) per hour.

Heat loss to ground alone is 640W/hour , probably more or less continuously as I can't see it heating up much.

If you assume that air temp drops to 10 C for 12 hours per day ( averaged out) then the walls and sides will lose 2.5 times that amount ( surface area walls and water surface ) which is 1.6 kW.

Ignoring solar gain, which will be considerable at times, as well as temp of rainwater, this pool could consume daily"

1) Lossses to ground : 24 x 640W = 15 kW
2) Losses to air : 12 x 1600 W= 19 kW

Total 34 kW per day

Given this high cost - much of which could be deduced from various pool forums - the use of the pool is going to be very high (prohibitive ?) when both professional installation and then a 5kW heater have to be ruled out by cost.

Apart from the one where the OP accuses people of posting spam because he didn't get the advice he wanted.

:evil:

I've had my advice and made my choice, why are you still posting?

edit was for typo :)

I've had my advice and made my choice, why are you still posting?

edit was for typo :)

heeelllooo sixthprawn glad you got it sorted
may i respectfuly say that in general you are not being very tolerant
people on here give there time and information for free
somtimes we extend out the area coverd because others may read and points you seem as spam or irelivent may help others reading the post

now of course somtimes people react in what can be a seemingly unhelpfull way
you need to remember they /we give our time for free
'99% off the time the info is without sarcasm or looking a bit condecending but occasionaly we get fed up or frustrated
i would be gratfull if you remember this and have respect for the people that help you for nowt and except the odd word or to out off place as no more than frustrated rantings

a lot off people have contributed very relivent information to help you please respect them and make good use off the information

good luck from the round one :D :D ;)

Did you at least read the post by electronicsuk where he suggested a safe way to connect up the 3kW heater.

It should cost no more than £50. Make sure you fit an RCD plug to the cable if your sockets are not already protected by one.

You really should note the detailed reply by mointainwalker as well where he points out how much electricity you will be using.

You've had a lot of good advice but have taken some of the negative comments to heart - I think you should climb down off your high horse and thank those people who tried to help.

What "negative comments"?

Those which indicate that lack of money does not cause the laws of physics to be suspended, or those which point out that powering equipment outdoors should be done properly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back