Poor brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had a set of new aluminium bifold doors fitted and I've only just noticed that the brickwork/mortar underneath the doors look extremely poor.

They had to cut a row of bricks in order to lower the door threshold, but it looks like they've used expanding foam and spacers instead of mortar. Even one of the cut down bricks has broken into two. Surely this hasn't been done correctly?

I realise I should have inspected their work before signing it off, but i was concentrating more on checking the door operation.

IMG_6437_zpsa3040f63.jpg

IMG_6450_zps9c99ce35.jpg

IMG_6444_zpsb1e0c14b.jpg

Sponsored Links
No, it hasn't been done correctly. Pretty obvious really.

Shocking and typical window fitter stuff.
What should have happened is two courses of bricks should have been removed and then a course of brick on edge snappers laid.

If UPVC guys can't fix it with silicone or foam then they ain't interested.

Thank you for the replies.

I am in the process of writing to the company concerned. For clarification, please could you elaborate on what 'brick edge snappers' means. I guess it simply refers to a course of bricks laid on edge?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
For clarification, please could you elaborate on what 'brick edge snappers' means.

He enjoys showing his knowledge of technical terms :LOL:

A 'snapped' brick is simply one cut in half. In your case, he is advising that the cut bricks are laid on edge rather than flat.

Edge snappers. :LOL:
Now the OP will go to the window company trying to explain this and make a real song and dance about it.
:LOL:

The gap only needed filled with mortar coloured red.

a course of creasing tiles would ave been ideal :idea:

Thanks for the replies. Ive emailed the company and will be phoning them on Monday. Im going to ask them how they intend to resolve the problem, but its nice to know beforehand how it should be done. That way I know if they are trying to rip me off again.

IMG_6447_zps3d303085.jpg

I'd be asking why the feck they had to insert a row of cut bricks and the doors weren't made right in the first place?

I'd be asking why the f**k they had to insert a row of cut bricks and the doors weren't made right in the first place?

The bricks didn't have to be cut, but I wanted the bottom track to sit flush with the internal floor. Otherwise the track would have stood proud of the internal floor requiring me to have to step over it.

Edge snappers. :LOL:
Now the OP will go to the window company trying to explain this and make a real song and dance about it.
:LOL:

The gap only needed filled with mortar coloured red.
There are a number of ways to fill in the gap.
I was merely offering the professional version and the one that would look the best.

We had to do the exact same thing in preparation for some bi-folds a few years back. Brick on edge fills the gap without the need for ugly vulnerable slithers or even uglier deep mortar beds.

Snap headers is the term we use.

I'd be asking why the f**k they had to insert a row of cut bricks and the doors weren't made right in the first place?
It's not unusual to have bifolds sitting lower than the dpc. This is so that the threshold is lowered in relation to the internal floor and makes the doors more user friendly.

The worrying thing is how they have gone about remedying it. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back