Poor Service (plumber left leaks)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, please can anyone offer advice? We recently had a new vanity unit, bath panel and radiator installed by a local plumber. He charged us £350 for labour and £50 for small consumables and new tap. He asked for a deposit upfront, which we paid. He then proceeded to swap and change his dates multiple times.

Once the work had been done, we noticed the radiator pipes were leaking and we messaged the plumber. He told us he would visit the following weekend (I messaged him on the sunday). A few days later I noticed staining in the ceiling underneath where the bathroom is and found that the pipes in the vanity cabinet were leaking and had caused damage to the shelves.

I messaged the plumber stating that this needed to be fixed immediately as he tried to fob us off until the weekend and he reluctantly came that evening and confirmed that everything should now work (he even mentioned to my sister that he expected a leak from the pipe).

The next day the pipes under the sink were still leaking and I messaged the plumber and he said he wouldn't come out free of charge and he accused us of tampering with the pipes, even though we hadn't.

I argued my points against him and he blocked my messages, he then re added me asking for my bank details so he could give us £50 compensation, I didn't agree to this as it could cost us more to get it fixed elsewhere, he then tried to say he would come back free of charge to fix (even though previously he said he would charge us for any more callouts).

I told him I wanted to get a report done by a third party to assess the work (to prevent him from accusing us of tampering) he then said that because I wasn't accepting the offer he would remove me from his messages and he blocked me again.

How do I go about this as he has lied multiple times to different people in the house, saying he expected leaks but then accusing us of causing those leaks and saying he said things to people when he didn't.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hello, please can anyone offer advice? We recently had a new vanity unit, bath panel and radiator installed by a local plumber. He charged us £350 for labour and £50 for small consumables and new tap. He asked for a deposit upfront, which we paid. He then proceeded to swap and change his dates multiple times. Once the work had been done, we noticed the radiator pipes were leaking and we messaged the plumber. He told us he would visit the following weekend (I messaged him on the sunday). A few days later I noticed staining in the ceiling underneath where the bathroom is and found that the pipes in the vanity cabinet were leaking and had caused damage to the shelves. I messaged the plumber stating that this needed to be fixed immediately as he tried to fob us off until the weekend and he reluctantly came that evening and confirmed that everything should now work (he even mentioned to my sister that he expected a leak from the pipe). The next day the pipes under the sink were still leaking and I messaged the plumber and he said he wouldn't come out free of charge and he accused us of tampering with the pipes, even though we hadn't. I argued my points against him and he blocked my messages, he then re added me asking for my bank details so he could give us £50 compensation, I didn't agree to this as it could cost us more to get it fixed elsewhere, he then tried to say he would come back free of charge to fix (even though previously he said he would charge us for any more callouts). I told him I wanted to get a report done by a third party to assess the work (to prevent him from accusing us of tampering) he then said that because I wasn't accepting the offer he would remove me from his messages and he blocked me again. How do I go about this as he has lied multiple times to different people in the house, saying he expected leaks but then accusing us of causing those leaks and saying he said things to people when he didn't.
Paragraphs or bullet points would be a boon. That lot looks like a blur.

What I did see was £350 which (unless you live in Stoke) won't buy you a hill o' beans.

KJT95, good evening.

Does your Plumber have a Facebook page?

Contact him that way asking him to return,

If still no visit then just leave a load of messages on his Facebook page??

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatley he doesn't, he was recommended on my villlage page and he started a new job this week so is no longer self employed

No, he has accused us of tampering. So I told him I wanted a third party to check the work first before he came back so he couldn't accuse us again. His work has been faulty and he isn't owning up to it. I wanted the report before he came back but he wasn't having any of it. And at first he refused to come back free of charge, it wasn't until a lot of arguing that he then said he would come back for free.

You paid peanuts and got a monkey. Pay someone to re do it properly, get on with your life and put it down to experience (it could have been much worse). Chasing someone for a few hundred quid isn't worth it financially or mentally.

I was actually given a few quotes for the same price. I'm based in west yorkshire, so it was a standard quote.

I had another plumber come out to assess the job beforehand but he wasn't available on the date we needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back