Pop up socket pole for kitchen island ideas

I repeat:

Someone, somewhere does not know plugs are fused, or is seriously lacking in brain cells.
And I'll repeat from another current thread (https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/aerial-power-supply-from-lighting.592397/page-4#post-5242627) talking about plugtop PSUs:
I have 4ways dedicated for chargers with 3A or 1A fuses and heavily labled.
Having sockets fused at 3A is in my opinion a very good idea for unprotected devices
Most of those I've opened after failure show signs of overheating but finding any sort of fuse; be it a physical fuse or part of the pcb track etc is virtually non existant.

Sponsored Links
Or do 13 amp ones exist? Counterfeit or otherwise?
You can get 12.5A and 15A fuses in 20x5mm from reputable brands https://uk.farnell.com/w/c/circuit-...current=12.5a|15a&fuse-size-metric=5mm-x-20mm

RS do claim to sell a 13A 20mm fuse. It's only sold in boxes of a thousand, it's RS own brand, it's listed as backordered to next year and it appears to be wire-ended rather than a plain fuse.

I can also find sellers on ebay/amazon claiming to sell 13A 20mm fuses, of course YMMV with products from such places.

For the most part though, 13A seems to be a be an oddity of the british plug/socket/fuse system.

Just googled BS 6396.

"BS6396 restricts the maximum number of sockets fed from a single 13A plug supply to 6 when they are individually protected at 3.15A. These restrictions should not be exceeded as it may lead to overload or excessive earth leakage currents back to the supply."

What a load of carp. How could it lead to an overload when the single 13a plug supply is fused at 13a? The fusing has nothing to do with earth leakage currents either.

Clearly the person(s) who wrote this does not know plugs are fused, or is seriously lacking in brain cells.

Sponsored Links
"BS6396 restricts the maximum number of sockets fed from a single 13A plug supply to 6 when they are individually protected at 3.15A. These restrictions should not be exceeded as it may lead to overload or excessive earth leakage currents back to the supply."
What a load of carp. How could it lead to an overload when the single 13a plug supply is fused at 13a?
You don't seem to understand what is meant by 'overloading' a circuit (or part of a circuit) - which is the situation which arises if the load on a circuit is greater than the rating of the OPD of the circuit (or part of a circuit), regardless of whether or not the cable is also overloaded by a current in excess of its CCC.

I'm surprised that you, of all people, should say this, because the situation which arises when a 2kW-3kW load is plugged into a socket on a 6A lighting circuit is an overloading of the circuit, even though the cable will not be overloaded (its CCC exceeded) by such a load.
The fusing has nothing to do with earth leakage currents either.
They don't seem to claim that it does. I presume they are saying that, particularly with regard to the fact that it relates primarily to IT equipment etc., limiting the number of sockets to 6 will limit the total leakage current of all connected equipment
Clearly the person(s) who wrote this does not know plugs are fused, or is seriously lacking in brain cells.
Clearly the person who wrote that does not know what it is meant by "overloading a circuit", or is seriously lacking in brain cells

You don't seem to understand what is meant by 'overloading' a circuit (or part of a circuit) - which is the situation which arises if the load on a circuit is greater than the rating of the OPD of the circuit (or part of a circuit), regardless of whether or not the cable is also overloaded by a current in excess of its CCC.

I'm surprised that you, of all people, should say this, because the situation which arises when a 2kW-3kW load is plugged into a socket on a 6A lighting circuit is an overloading of the circuit, even though the cable will not be overloaded (its CCC exceeded) by such a load.

They don't seem to claim that it does. I presume they are saying that, particularly with regard to the fact that it relates primarily to IT equipment etc., limiting the number of sockets to 6 will limit the total leakage current of all connected equipment

Clearly the person who wrote that does not know what it is meant by "overloading a circuit", or is seriously lacking in brain cells
None of that explains why the circuits i.e. the part from each socket need to be fused at 3.15a.

None of that explains why the circuits i.e. the part from each socket need to be fused at 3.15a.
I really am sorry that I clicked on that particular product as an example to try and help the OP.

Winston. That particular product is designed as a power centre for an office desk. The designers probably want to restrict the power drawn from each socket to lower current equipment such as PCs, etc.
Oh guess what, there are 4 sockets each fused at 3.15amps. That means that each desk's total is...........you do the maths, i'm tired with your inability to understand anything outside your bungalow.

In an office electrics that I was involved in, the general use 13A wall sockets were a special type with (IIRC) the earth pin at 90° to the usual.
The cleaners' equipment had matching plugs which meant that they could not plug their vacuum cleaners into the desk power which usually had stuff like UPS, surge protection, etc.

Last edited:
That particular product is designed as a power centre for an office desk.

And it may well be supplied by a flexible lead from a 13 Amp plug and not hard wired into the ring final or radial final.

Use of a plug provides simple and total isolation for when the "pop up" goes faulty and trips the RCD.

And it may well be supplied by a flexible lead from a 13 Amp plug and not hard wired into the ring final or radial final.

Use of a plug provides simple and total isolation for when the "pop up" goes faulty and trips the RCD.
Indeed. I was trying to give Winston one fact at a time.

They do say on their website that it can be used in a kitchen and the 3.15a fuses can be replaced with a higher value.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back