Sockets on a kitchen island

Sponsored Links
They work fine.
They normally come with a plug top at the bottom and so can be connected to a flex outlet isolated from another position (this is how I install them), or just plugged into a socket.

What alternatives are you looking for?

Sponsored Links
does your island need to be flat and accessible from all sides?
if not then a small upstand "wall" at the back of it is a good place to put sockets..
as seen on the island on the left of this drawing...

Knick - how do you plan to get the power to the island?

It is a new build and hopefully the builders will remember to install pipes in the concrete to allow the sparks to feed the cable through to the island.

With any luck the ends of the pipes might even be in the correct place :rolleyes:

When the builders install the duct(s) for cables etc make sure the ends of the ducts are at least an inch above floor level to prevent water from a flooded kitchen floor filling the duct. Three inches is even better. Once water gets in it is a real pain to remove it and if any debris washed in starts to go mouldy then the problem is worse.

When the builders install the duct(s) for cables etc make sure the ends of the ducts are at least an inch above floor level to prevent water from a flooded kitchen floor filling the duct. Three inches is even better. Once water gets in it is a real pain to remove it and if any debris washed in starts to go mouldy then the problem is worse.

Thanks Bernard, I will try to get the message across to the builders.

my only gripe with those ones that pop up, is will they ever get "popped down??"
or is it the same as the nice glass tops on cookers, that no-one ever uses?

What always worries me about pop-up sockets is that if liquids get spilt while the sockets are down then afaict there is a good chance they will drain straight into the sockets. It seems that at best this will mean a tripped RCD and completely dismantling the pop-up socket to clean and dry it properly. At worst it could mean people getting electric shocks.

is will they ever get "popped down??"

Not if things stored in the cupboard beneath get in the way.

After looking at pop ups I fitted a dual socket into a block of work top material to provide two flat sockets about an inch above the work surface to avoid liquids getting to the sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back