Pop up socket pole for kitchen island ideas

None of that explains why the circuits i.e. the part from each socket need to be fused at 3.15a.
I don't think anyone has suggested that it does.

As far as I can make out, the 3.15 A fuses (and max 6 sockets) probably arise from BS6396 (for 'Office Furniture')

Sponsored Links
They do say on their website that it can be used in a kitchen and the 3.15a fuses can be replaced with a higher value.
They do -although, as has been said (and as you will surely agree) that may be 'incorrect'.

However, in common sense terms, if they are used in a kitchen, the standard for 'Office Furniture' (BS6396) isn't really appropriate/relevant, and it seems that it is that Standard which results in the 3.15A fuses. Indeed, it's far from impossible that the Standard actually says that it only applies to things "when used in an office".

I wonder how long this silly BS6396 has been around. Certainly when I worked in offices the 13a sockets were not fused at 3.15a. We had an office kettle for making a cuppa. There was even an office microwave.

Sponsored Links
I wonder how long this silly BS6396 has been around. Certainly when I worked in offices the 13a sockets were not fused at 3.15a. We had an office kettle for making a cuppa. There was even an office microwave.
Not sure, but the specification for this product does clearly state it is intended for offices and is designed that way for BS6396, so that's that.

I don't know if part of the reason for it is to discourage the use of kettles and toasters near electronic office equipment - I'm not looking it up!!

Anyone found a suitable 13amp fuse?

Anyone found a suitable 13amp fuse?
As has been said, 12.5A ones seem to be fairly available from reputable sources.

In passing, does anyone know how/why these 3.15A fuses (and, indeed, 315 mA ones) came into being?

Kind Regards, John

BS6396 is specifically for items of office furniture with integrated electrical wiring for e.g. built-in lighting. It also allows for power sockets for convenience, but limits the current to any item to 5A. As such it is making no statement about electrical outlets separate from the furniture.

@markymark2406
Have you lost the will to live yet? I have. But I have been googling on your behalf.
This one has what you want, and it is in stock and it hasnt any fuses to argue about....

BS6396 is specifically for items of office furniture with integrated electrical wiring for e.g. built-in lighting. It also allows for power sockets for convenience, but limits the current to any item to 5A. As such it is making no statement about electrical outlets separate from the furniture.
Thank you, yes.
Since about 2010 we have bought many desks with built-in cable management and extension leads - they are a pain.
Excluding the 3.15A fuse issue, which do get blown - frequently, they are horrible to PAT.
With the extension hidden under a flap at the back of the desk, the flap inevitably gets covered with academic detritus!
We usually supply a separate extension, and 'red label' the built-in lead! :)

It's a Renard's Series number in the ISO R10 series.
True, in terms of the "least rounded" version of the ISO R10 series. The electrical world more commonly used the "medium rounded" or "most rounded" versions, which is presumably the reason why we have 32A MCBs etc, rather than 31.5A ones, 6A MCBs rather than 6.3A ones, and 1.5 mm² cables rather than 1.6 mm² ones.

Put in less formal terms, the convention for 'current ratings' of things (including fuses) which are ≥1A seems to be that they are usually rounded to the nearest whole number, with no more than 2 significant digits, which is why 3.15A fuses have always surprised me a bit, particularly since it seems to be a fairly unique exception to that 'conventional rounding rule'.

In practical terms, none of this matters in the slightest but, as I said, I've always wondered about it.

Kind Regards, John

Regarding the unnecessary fuses I would be asking the mechanical workshop for some 5mm diameter copper rod and rely on the plug fuses.
and thus increase the risk of the self-immolation of a power module built like a 13 Amp plug but lacking a fuse.

I really can’t see the point of these pop up sockets. If used for a computer and printer as suggested they will be “popped up” all the time. A normal double socket at the back of the desk will do just as .
If you care to read the topic (post #1 is a good starting point) you will discover that the requirement is for a kitchen island worktop not an office desk. I imagine this would be for occasional use and not permanently popped up.
But why can you not make a positive contribution, rather than constantly finding problems with others helpful suggestions???

Not at all. 3.15 at 240v is over 750w, more than enough for self-immolation anyway.

I did say increase the risk,

Yes a 750 Watt supply could cause a fire in a faulty power module. but during the early seconds of that fire internal damage could create a fault path Live to Neutral and allow enough current to blow the 3.15 Amp fuse, The same internal fault path may not be "strong" enough to rupture a higher rated fuse and thus there would be far more than 750 Watts of heating persistently inside the power module.,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back