Post the best photo you took today

View attachment 201648 This is the island of Poros in Greece. It should be ram packed with tourists but is on local lockdown due to a Covid outbreak. All bars and night clubs closed, no outdoor music venues. Just restaurants open.

I've been to Poros, still a small little prop plane to get there, or did you go by ferry? Nice relaxed place.

Sponsored Links
@motorbiking
It's a coco voilier by the way, the boat that I went sailing in last Wednesday and Sunday.
We didn't get the gunnels wet on Sunday though.

We've used main sail (grand voile) and foresail (voile a vent) (not vol--au-vent!). Not used the spinnaker yet.
Apparently that fairly wooshes the boat along.

I was told the rope for raising the sail is drisse,
The rope for letting out or pulling in the sail is ecoute as in listening, but it's possible it's ecourt, as in shortening.
Then there is the cummingham (pronounced coo-mingham) for pulling down the sail.
But collectively they're called cordage.
IMG_0573.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think he sailed there.
Yep. Current mode of transportation is an oceanis 51.1 my first commercial skipper gig.

btw in English the strap on the sail to attach the reef to the boom is called a Cunningham, after the guy who invented it. Though on more modern/larger boats it’s more common to have single line reefing. So I suspect there is a bit of fronglais going on with the translation

Last edited:
btw in English the strap on the sail to attach the reef to the boom is called a Cunningham, after the guy who invented it.
And I always thought that the line between the reef and the boat was the anchor line. :eek: ;) :whistle:
Are you allowed to use anchors on the reefs?

Wonder how many economic migrants Himmy sneaked in on his yacht?
There aren't any economic migrants, if you meant refugees or asylum seekers, and we couldn't find any where we were.
Anyway, there's a bridge to Île de Ré, and I'm assuming they would have crossed via the bridge. Although I can't imagine anyone wanting to claim asylum on the Île de Ré.
It's a three berth cabin, but it gets a bit crowded in the cockpit with more than two.

Last Wednesday, as we were arriving back in port, a RIB with a couple of people in uniform came out to meet us. There were a few similar RIBs circulating. At first I thought they were checking for contraband, illegals or whatever, but it turned out that it was so windy, and blustery, they merely wanted to know the number of the berth to which we were headed, so they could wait there to assist us docking, in case of being blown about too much.
They were just port employees helping out because of the weather conditions. Excellent service! But hardly needed, the skipper was an excellent helmsman, and I was able to jump off to stop and hold the boat easy enough.

Look at the size of this badger hole I saw this morning. It wasn’t there yesterday so he's been busy overnight. Must be a biggun too - my dog could have gone down that hole!

FA8C86CB-D5F3-4C9A-8BD3-29941923806B.jpeg

We went there once on a motoring trip of France. Lovely place. I seem to remember the donkeys were all wearing pyjamas!
Originally to protect the legs of the donkey from mosquito bites, etc in the salt marshes, apparently.

Sponsored Links
Back