Potterton Statesman Utility 130/150

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have the above boiler which was made/installed in 2007. Recently it developed a fault after an annual service, at which the boiler was cleaned out removing soot etc, a new nozzle fitted and a new photo electric wand? fitted, the fault causes the burner to fail to start from cold.
The local chap has now been 6 times to try to fix it and failed. He has now gone on holiday for 4 weeks!!
During the attempted repair he has replaced the control box, the pump coil/solenoid and the pump.
Thermostats, heating and water all work correctly, boiler stat works correctly everything works fine once the boiler has started for the first time at the beginning of the day.
First thing in the morning the controls create a demand, the fan starts and at the next point where the burner is about to fire it fails and lights the reset light. If during this process I press the reset button as it goes into the ignition cycle it fires and then works perfectly throughout the day, until it cools and is off during the night.
Wonder if anyone has any ideas, damaged electrical connections broken wire???
Any ideas would be gratefully received, then I need to find someone with the correct testing equipment but in a remote bit of Scotland that is easier said than done.

Sponsored Links
Which burner is fitted.
Is the bottom of the oil tank above burner height?

Terrywookfit : Reillo RDB3 burner, new bunded tank fitted 3 years ago floor of tank significantly above burner (15"), boiler has worked perfectly since we bought the house 5 years ago, been serviced annually and has only developed fault since last service. Its the light on the burner which lights not the reset on the thermostat panel.

Make sure the right nozzle is fitted and oil pressure is right and electrodes are in the right position

Sponsored Links
Make sure the right nozzle is fitted and oil pressure is right and electrodes are in the right position
Hi checked nozzle with Baxi/Potterton, New Danfoss 1.25 60 S fitted, oil pressure set according to technical advice. Emissions checked and match technical helpline advice. I have to admit I don't know about the position of the electrodes, but as it works fine once it has been lit each day is it likely to be them?

Do you have a combustion printout.
Symptoms are typical of excess air.
I would be trying another nozzle .
Are you on Kero.

Do you have a combustion printout.
Symptoms are typical of excess air.
I would be trying another nozzle .
Are you on Kero.
No local chap just stuck his monitor in the balanced flue and declared it matched the technical advice from Baxi, yes Kero. Any chance the balanced flue is the cause as it was very sooted before the service and I'm not sure he cleaned it?

I'd go along with Terry when it fails to start when cold its a symptom of too much air get another engineer with an analyser who knows how to use it get a print out too.Bob

I have no burner manual for this boiler.
Does it have an adjustable combustion head....if so it could need "Tweaking" !!

Is the oil take off from your tank top or bottom outlet. If top outlet, you may have an air leak that loses the siphon and takes the pump a couple of go's to re-establish it. Also, has your serviceman checked any oil filters? Otherwise, I'd go with the over aired.

Is the oil take off from your tank top or bottom outlet. If top outlet, you may have an air leak that loses the siphon and takes the pump a couple of go's to re-establish it. Also, has your serviceman checked any oil filters? Otherwise, I'd go with the over aired.
Bottom outlet, flow checked and very full and good, filter checked. So over aired. Strangely it fired from cold this morning with no intervention.

I would first eliminate a fuel problem by getting a fuel can placing it about 6 inches above the burner and putting the fuel lead into the oil.
You'll might need to bleed the pump by loosening the test point to purge any air and firing the burner a couple of times to clear the air.
Generally if the burner is over aired it won't fire. If there was any quantity of soot at the service the boiler was badly adjusted.
It has all the symptoms of there been air in the fuel line on the initial fire for the day so that on the next reset the fuel hits the nozzle and it fires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back