Power for fishtank

PWR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice, I have a fish tank/feature that hangs on the wall. The fitting instructions are pretty vague. It comes with a connector strip unit (that has on off switch and terminals for the pump,striplight,thermostat and mains power input. Could I replace an unused single socket on the ring main (under where the tank will hang)with a 13A fcu and take power from this to the connector strip? thanks for your help. Paul

Sponsored Links
Something does not seem right. In UK all non built in domestic appliances have to have plugs ready fitted. I think it comes under sale of goods act. So why would anything that hangs off the wall have a strip connector?
Is it 230vac at 50Hz?
A connector strip seems wrong too. A junction box maybe.

Your right, the pump,filter thermostat and light all are fitted with plugs, the strip connector switch unit (to me) looks like they can be wired to it and be fed by mains. I will put on a few pictures when I get home.

I have seen before where people want to reduce the size of the standard 13 amp plug where they have wanted either smaller plugs or other method to reduce the size.
The problem is each plug will have it's own fuse and although in theory the fuse in the plug is only to protect the cable in practice it also protects the appliance and I would be careful before removing a protection device i.e. the 13A Plug.
There are junction boxes with cable grips the Hagur maintenance free one has cable grips and can take four cables in safety. There are also special plugs designed to take more than one cable again with a grip for each cable. But of course a connector block has no cable restraint and would normally be used inside something which has some cable restraint.
I have seen multi outlet units which use kettle/computer like plugs but they were very expensive.

Sponsored Links
When I had an aquarium I had one of these!! It's more like a wiring centre than a junction block, you wire everything through it (pump & filter, heater and lights) I has 2 push switches (one at either end) which control the lights and pump/filter unit.

What I did was to remove the plugs from the heater, pump/filter & lights, connect them in through the wiring centre and wire a supply to the wiring centre through a plug top (3A fuse).

In the end I put a plug top back on the lights and put a timer on them!

Search for "aquarium switchbox"

Thats exactly how you describe it, a wiring centre. The tank has a round black glass frame (square tank behind it) and It looks like this connector/wiring centre screws to the wall hidden behind the top of the frame. I want to know if I can run the power to this wiring centre from a single socket outlet on the ring main that I will change to a fused switched conector unit. Sorry if I am repeating myself can't remember what I have already said.

I don't see a problem with replacing a socket with a switched FCU with a 3A fuse in it for this purpose. (I say switched as if you want to drain the tank you need to be able to switch the heater off).
Short length 0.5 or 0.75mm 3 core flex from there to the wiring centre.
Think I have heard of them called "cable tidy".
Personally I don't use the light one as that is connected to a timer, I have the air pump connected to one switch and the filter connected to the other.

i would not suggest the FCU but keep the socket. why?
easier, if / when need to be moved unplug it. want to upgrade it, unplug it.

Im going for the switched FCU as tank is to be hung above fireplace (don't want cable showing as I will bury it in conduit..already have three sockets in dining room so wont miss this one This is where it will stay till we move.

Im going for the switched FCU as tank is to be hung above fireplace (don't want cable showing as I will bury it in conduit..already have three sockets in dining room so wont miss this one This is where it will stay till we move.

I hope thats earthed steel conduit or that the circuit is RCD protected!!

Not really electrical related, but how big is the tank and how are you supporting it?
Can you post some photos (I'm being nosey) :oops:

I was hoping to bury cable behind some galvinised channel, earth connected in FCU socket terminal and looped to the earth terminal in the box. Fuse board has MCB's only.

As for the tank its' really only something different/decorative. It holds about 16litres. It hangs on a wall bracket bolted with 6 Rawlbolts. Got it from here www.wall-aquarium.com

I was hoping to bury cable behind some galvinised channel, earth connected in FCU socket terminal and looped to the earth terminal in the box. Fuse board has MCB's only.
Needs RCD protection. :(

Not the end of the world tho, you can get away with using an RCD FCU.
It isn't a very big tank at all, my hospital tank holds about 30L of water which is only relatively small, I take it they must be pretty narrow? What sort of fish are you keeping?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back