Power to Kitchen Island

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Concrete floor being covered in 100mm celotex then wet ufh and screed. What would be best way to get power to island? Not to power any appliances only for a double socket to power laptops etc

Sponsored Links
I'd be surprised if you have a kitchen island and nobody ever wants to use a kettle, toaster and mixer there. Before long, they'll want a hob.

I'd go for a concealed floor box, as used in offices, inside which you can put a double socket, LAN connector, TV cable, and, in a year or two, a hob cable. Run in the floor 20mm conduit with sweeping bends so you can, if needed, poke other cables through later. The power cables must be in different conduits to the comms cables. The lids of these boxes can be finished with laminate, vinyl and carpet, perhaps also tiled though I have never seen it, and when closed, are not a trip hazard.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/UVCSM3N.html

If your island has an overhanging worktop, you can put outlets in the ends of the units, concealed by the overhang, which will look neat and protect them from spills. you can also get pop-up multiway adaptors to poke through holes in the worktop, if you like that sort of thing.

Concrete floor being covered in 100mm celotex then wet ufh and screed.
Is this after or before the electrical installation?
If before run a duct in the floor, to contain cables. There maybe issues with mechanical protection though if you cannot get a depth of 50mm or more.

As above, would be wise to make provisions for other eventualities.

So would you run the 20mm Conduit under the celotex ( not recommended by Celotex) or run the conduit over the top of celotex within the screed.

Sponsored Links
In the screed, otherwise you'd have to channel out the celotex to get it to sit flat

If you think there is any chance you'd want a hob there as suggested above, you can forget using a 20mm conduit for that. I'd be thinking of putting something in the 32mm region if we're talking hobs.

Two 20mm will be fine to take power/data to the island but anything bigger than a 2.5mm² you're gonna need a bigger conduit

Concrete floor being covered in 100mm celotex then wet ufh and screed. What would be best way to get power to island? Not to power any appliances only for a double socket to power laptops etc
So would you run the 20mm Conduit under the celotex ( not recommended by Celotex) or run the conduit over the top of celotex within the screed.
Surely your electrician doesn't need you to ask these questions on the internet?

Surely your electrician doesn't need you to ask these questions on the internet?
When it comes to having an electrician maybe not, at this point wiring is not actually needed just a means of getting it where it needs to go eventually . My plumber was not involved when we run ducting for the water mains, but he sure is glad we did

When it comes to having an electrician maybe not, at this point wiring is not actually needed just a means of getting it where it needs to go eventually.
But some electrical knowledge is required, or why would you be asking these questions on here?
You still need to select the correct containment and method for the installation to comply and serve it's purpose.
So in those term you need an electrician or at least an informed person.

So I guess making this forum pretty pointless. Yes I have some electrical knowledge but having not had to consider an island at this stage in the past, I see no harm in asking on a Forum questions relating to Trunking.

So I guess making this forum pretty pointless.
Not all, just by saying you did not need help of an electrician a little hypocritical.

After all someone is going to have to test, connect and commission the work for you. Which cannot be done via a forum, I would always recommend contacting the electrician that you are employing to do this electrical work first, before any other preparation is made.
An on site visit is always better than a remote conversation, there are often unseen issues that only arise, when the picture is presented in real life.

I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back