Power to shed from garage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Quick question, I have searched through many threads and topics on here but can't find the answer. I have a large garage at the bottom of my garden which has its own consumer unit. The garage has about 12 double sockets and a lighting circuit.

What I need to do is to run power to my shed/hut which is about 1.5m away from the garage, the hut is being used by my wife as a sewing hut, and she needs a permanent power supply probably one double socket should do, possible a light so she can work into the early hours...peace and quiet for me!

What would be the best way of supplying power and possible a light to the hut?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Get a sparky on site to take a look and dig your own trench along an agreed route with him/her. You can do all the labouring which will save the sparky time and thus your money. In te trench should be laid some SWA cable.

Nozzle

Does this garage consumer unit have a spare space in it for another MCB?
Does this garage consumer unit have an RCD in it
From where does the feed to the garage originate?

Hi TTC,
The consumer unit in the garage originates from the main consumer unit in the house. I have attached a photo of the CU in the garage. It does have an RCD which is located in the house in a distribution box the RCD is a RS Pro 2Pole Type A, Type C Residual Current Circuit Breaker with Overload Protection(see below) what I can see their is a free space for a MCB. what's your thoughts?
. DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

Sponsored Links
Ok. The maximum current that you can pull from the existing feed from the house is 16amp.
So that is the total max for both the garage plus the shed.
Will that be enough? Maybe she will want a heater in the winter??

There is a spare way in that abortion of a consumer unit in the garage. If you do nothing else. Get a blank and fill in that gap. Do it tomorrow morning, it's an accident waiting to happen. I can see the bus at behind there. That's raw mains voltage right there waiting for someone to put their finger on it.

Then you need a registered electrician to add a new circuit to that CU with an appropriate MCB for a cable running to the shed. A double socket could go in there with an FCU to provide a switch and feed for a light.

Previous owners of the property!!! I've been her just over 2 yrs and only now finding all sorts of issues! Luckily I'm the only person who knows where this box is which is ironically hidden in a cupboard. Will be getting an electrician in but just wanted to know what the simplest/safest method would be, before I call him up.

Thanks for your advice....and yes will be covering the busbar asap!

Thanks.

How does the SY (silver braid type cable) get to your garage at present?

(COYS (y) )

How does the SY (silver braid type cable) get to your garage at present?

(COYS (y) )

Hi,
It gets their from the CU in the house via the RCD which is also in the house, then via a trench down the side of the garden and into the wall behind the garage CU!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back