Problem ! new light and switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to put new light and switch in new room I have built .
All wiring in loft seems to loop round light back plates then ends up at a junction box that goes off to two switches , then from this a cable to the light I will be takeing a lead from for new light and switch.
this light is wired live ,earth ,neutral
Do I just attach wires to live earth neutral and run to new rose and attach at this rose live earth neutral, or do wires in rose I am running from need switching round to the loop, or is a junction box needed somewhere.
looked at diagrams already on site and if light i was running from was lalready on a loop it would be easy!

Sponsored Links
Do I just attach wires to live earth neutral and run to new rose and attach at this rose live earth neutral, or do wires in rose I am running from need switching round to the loop, or is a junction box needed somewhere.

It took me a while to decypher this :confused: :confused: :confused: but I've worked out what the problem is. You don't understand how electric circuits work! :( :( :(

If you connect your new rose to live, neutral and earth in that box - assuming that you can identify them in the first place - your light will be on all the time. :confused: :confused: :confused: If you then commit the classic boo-boo of connecting the switch to the same live, neutral and earth there will be a big bang when you try to switch it off. :eek: :eek: :eek: It WILL go off alright - and so will all the others! :cry: :cry: :cry:

To make the circuit work properly you have to put the switch and light in series. You connect the live terminal in the box to a spare terminal in the rose and from there to one side of the switch. The other side of the switch comes back to the rose and thence to one side of the light. The remaining side of the light goes back through the rose to neutral in the box. The earth wire goes from the box to the rose and then on to the switch - and if the light needs an earth it goes there too.

Since this is obviously your first attempt, I strongly recommend that you practice with something safer than mains voltage. Use a torch battery (NOT a car battery) and a low voltage bulb. :cool: :cool: :cool: Wire these up on the bench with short bits of the cable you will be using. You can use the actual switch and the rose but substitute the battery for the junction box. Leave the earth loose at the battery; it isn't part of the circuit.

Can you make it work? :?: Can you see how it works? :?: :?: Can you see why the earth is not needed? :?: :?: :?: Can you see what purpose the earth might serve in the mains circuit? :?: :?: :?: :?: If you can answer all these questions you can try the real thing. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
fcwoods the mods will be along soon to delete your "angry" reply. Please remember the guys here are electricians and have an odd sense of humour. :LOL: Hence sometimes they do go off on tangents as here.

Spacecat offered advice (albeit littered with emoticons). Take it or leave it.

fc, can you post a diagram of what you have, i`m sure it will be straight forward if i know what you have

Basically steve can I wire in a new light and switch from a light back plate ? where the wires on the plate I am going to start from are wired into live , neutral, and earth and the loop has not been used ?!

fc, you can double up in the connections of an existing rose, if you can identify live neutral & earth just feed off these terminals to your new rose or take it to the switch, block the neutrals and sent cable from switch to your new light fitting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back