problem removing halogen gu5.3/gu10 lightbulb black plastic circle blocking it

nvg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
halogen light bathroom.jpg
halogen light bathroom.jpg Hi, I am replacing halogen recessed lightbulb in bathroom of my apartment (no attic).
I was able to remove metal retaining clip and coverglass but halogen lightbulb is blocked by black plastic ring and there is not enough room between bulb and fitting to remove it.
I am not sure if bulb is gu5.3 or gu10.
I tried below actions which were all unsuccessful:
#1 tried to pull out black plastic ring blocking bulb with tweezers as pliers/head flat screwdriver couldn't get it but no luck
#2 tried to pinch two sides of black plastic ring together to remove but it's a hard plastic so this didn't work
#3 tried to put metal hairclip between black plastic and edge of fitting -didn't work
#4 tried to press halogen bulb up into fitting to see would it release in case gu5.3 but no luck
#5 tried to press halogen bulb up into fitting and rotate anticlockwise in case it was a gu10 no luck
#6 pressed bulb on each side to rotate and while there was a little movement, no rotation
#7 squeezed metal hairclip between bulb and fitting and moved around circumference of bulb to see would this loosen it but no luck
#8 got hoover and tried to suck bulb out of socket in case gu5.3 but no luck
#9 used blutack to pull out bulb in case gu5.3 but no luck

There is no attic to go to fitting from above to move as I am in apartment.
The last two options I know of are get duct tape and try to make a handle to attach to bulb and pull down or cover eyes with plastic glasses and break bulb, removing it with potato/pliers.
The bulb is very tight in the recessed fitting and I cannot see how to remove the fitting/trim without taking chunk plaster from ceiling or black plastic ring

Attached photo shows bulb in fitting with black plastic ring after metal clip and cover glass were removed.
Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Attachments

• halogen light 2.jpg
    halogen light 2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the light is in the bathroom and I think it is connected to a transformer as other lights in apartment are but I don't know as I haven't replaced these before

the light is in the bathroom of the apartment and I think it is connected to a transformer as other lights in apartment are but I don't know as I haven't replaced these before. I have been wearing marigold gloves when trying to remove it as I read I could get a better grip that way but no luck yet.

Sponsored Links
A suction cup can sometimes help remove stubburn spot lamps. A picture would be most helpful here...

Yes, a suction cap may be the solution here.

Some lights are supplied with them.

Sometimes a gasket is placed between the lamp and the fitting, it it all gets stuck together.

Hi, I am replacing halogen recessed lightbulb in bathroom of my apartment (no attic).
I was able to remove metal retaining clip and coverglass

If this is the glass from the front of the lamp, a suction cup would be no good.

thanks for these suggestions. Grabbed silver trim with metal hairclip and pulled out fitting which has two springs at underside (see photos).
The black plastic ring on inset of fitting is stopping bulb coming out from face side and it won't come out from other side as silver fitting has narrower diameter than bulb. Pressing back clips and trying to push metal bit for fitting through white trim isn't working. A handover folder for apartment could be identifying fitting as minizip round downlight QRCBC51 35w GU5.3 38 degrees. I feel like John Cleese when he hit the car with a tree in Fawlty Towers at this stage :s

Attachments

• light fitting top.jpg
    light fitting top.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 349
  • light fitting face.jpg
    light fitting face.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 395

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back