Problems with LED Panel installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced the hanging light on the upstairs landing with a 60x60 surface mounted LED panel.
It is on the usual stair 2way circuit but following installation fails to illuminate using either of the switches. The 2 way circuit checks out OK and the panel works OK when connected via the driver to a different 240v outlet.
I did wonder if there is a polarity issue here and if so how would I go about correcting it.
I did think of simply reversing the output connections on the driver but didn't want to try that one without advice.
Many thanks...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response.
Only a multimeter I'm afraid - any help?

Using a multi-meter you can confirm polarity.
I would not suggest you work live with a multi-meter though.
But you can prove polarity using dead tests, you would need to isolate circuit first.

Do you have the model/type of lamp you have purchased?

You have not changed any wiring in switches/replaced switch plates and they were working on old fitting?

Sponsored Links
No changes to the wiring at all, I'm using the terminals which fed the original light in the ceiling rose and observing the same colour codes.

The lamp is just a generic 60x60 LED panel driven by a [supplied] matching 24/42 Vdc - 1000ma driver..

i wouldnt have thaught a switching psu would care all that much about polarity.

Have you temporarily reconnected a pendant to the fitting to ensure it still works?

Yes, done that and checked the driver is sending power to the panel but due to measurement difficulties I can't quote the actual output but when I bench tested both with a wall socket supply it works fine....totally confused..

Aragorn - Thanks, yes I have reconnected the pendant as we need some light and that works perfectly...

Yes they are bog standard switches using the old style, referred to as 'two wire' I believe, wiring standard between them.

So this is the situation:

1) You have a L & N at the ceiling position, and it works a pendant light OK.

2) You have an LED light which works OK when the driver is plugged into a socket.

3) The LED does not work when the driver is connected to the L&N at the ceiling even though they are known to be OK for the pendant.

:?:

It is a normal ceiling rose and a 230V pendant?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back