Problems with society

Sparky Jim said:
Lastly, might I point out all the "good muslims" who live in the West and drink Alcohol, eat Non-Halal meat, visit prostitutes or are homosexual. This behaviour is not the fault of the West, this is purely and simply down to weakness of the human spirit, something that afflicts all cultures, religions and political systems. Further, there are many Muslims who live in Islamic States who do not fully observe the teachings of their Religion, and again this is not the fault of outside influence, but weakness of their spirit or at least religious convictions.

Homosexuality is a weakness?

Sponsored Links
Sparky Jim wrote
Anobium, where did I say age made us wise

With all due respect Jim, you gave me the impression that you felt your age has a bearing on your comments by your reference to you being the oldest on this forum. and your reference to your age in your signature.
However if I have misread this then I apologise

On a different matter I have a general question to ask others of the topic being discussed.
I thought that the OP was referring to the state of society in this country, not about the whys and wherefores of different religions.
I also thought it was against the rules to highjack a topic.

Sponsored Links
if you all think back a few years when kids of 11 went to there first big school, they were made attend in short trousers and short socks and sandals plus school cap , little tie and school bag, its hard to look tough in that gear, plus adults were mr or mrs not mate or tom and jean.
bring it all back now Gord :confused: :eek: en

notb665 said:
Sparky Jim said:
Lastly, might I point out all the "good muslims" who live in the West and drink Alcohol, eat Non-Halal meat, visit prostitutes or are homosexual. This behaviour is not the fault of the West, this is purely and simply down to weakness of the human spirit, something that afflicts all cultures, religions and political systems. Further, there are many Muslims who live in Islamic States who do not fully observe the teachings of their Religion, and again this is not the fault of outside influence, but weakness of their spirit or at least religious convictions.

Homosexuality is a weakness?

I would like to apologise to anyone who has read my comment in this way and might be offended by it. I did not mean Homosexuality was a weakness, I added it as Islam has a real hatred of it and in many Islamic nations homosexuals live in fear for their life as a result. Most Muslim states believe that Homosexuality is something that only affects the western nations, they fails to acknowedge it amongst their own populations.

Again, if my comment as worded in the original post caused offense, I humbly apologise.

anobium said:
Sparky Jim wrote
Anobium, where did I say age made us wise

With all due respect Jim, you gave me the impression that you felt your age has a bearing on your comments by your reference to you being the oldest on this forum. and your reference to your age in your signature.
However if I have misread this then I apologise

On a different matter I have a general question to ask others of the topic being discussed.
I thought that the OP was referring to the state of society in this country, not about the whys and wherefores of different religions.
I also thought it was against the rules to highjack a topic.

Yes you simply misread and my signature is worded as it is to avoid some confusion with another member as I kept being asked if I was that person. This way all confusion is removed and everyone can worry about the topic being discussed. Lets leave that there please.

I would disagree with your observation about the subject being highjacked, all that is being discussed has a direct and relevent bearing on the society we live in today and some of my comments were necessary to answer others so that I did not cause offence or confuse.

My take is that this subject is firmly on track and that your two comments are the ones most likely to derail it by questioning my reasoning for thinking as I do. :LOL:

The structure of a society is governed by the ideology, cultural and environmental influences that go together to make one.

Usually it is the majority that lays down the rules of that society and when the balance is right then there can be harmony.

Multicultural society is a different kettle of fish in that too many different ideologies are in conflict.

Class distinction in society when linked to wealth can lead to unrest.

In the old system of things, with national boundaries, it was somewhat easier to keep control, politicians have played with these evolved systems and screwed up the status quo.

It may seem that we are now a more familiar world with brothers and sisters living alongside each other but the thinking is not complete in that physically we live together but mentally we are as wide apart as when distance was the obstacle.

The problem is .........6 pages of carp that end in anti-Mus. as per :rolleyes:

billyo said:
if you all think back a few years when kids of 11 went to there first big school, they were made attend in short trousers and short socks and sandals plus school cap , little tie and school bag, its hard to look tough in that gear, plus adults were mr or mrs not mate or tom and jean.
bring it all back now Gord :confused: :eek: en

From a Criminological perspective, I'd have to say that the state of today's society and youth culture is no better or worse that it's ever been.

It's very easy to say that 'in my day' things were better. There has never been a 'golden age' of youth. The 1950's had the Teddy Boys. The 1960's had the Mods and Rockers. The 1970's had the Punks. Today's society has become more intollerant of these Folk Devils with more and more laws being churned out to combat the 'problem' and flexibility and initiative being taken away from the police and parents in dealing it.

What there is in today's society that previous generation's lacked, is an ever present, multi-faceted, multi-mode media.

Say, 30 years ago, there was TV; radio and newspapers. No t'interweb, no satellite news 24hrs a day No WAP/3G. No 'sensationalisation' of juicy, salacious stories. News channels had, what, 10-15 mins every few hours to get across all the main stories from around the world. The majority of that was controlled by the Govt so everything was 'well'. 'Social unrest was not necessary, thankyou'.

Today, it is entirely feasible to have several hours dedicated to one story as well as to have lots of talking heads yabbering on about the same basic line in order to fill airtime. With freedom of the press and a large number of runners in the media race, the fight for media subscribers means more focus on the big, sexy stories - give the people what they want.

As it applies to today's society, the media is very quick to pounce upon any story that they think will sell. That means; Hoodies, immigrants and 'sexy' crimes - guns, drugs and violence. As most peoples experience of many of these things is only ever through the media, negative stereotypes are quickly and in most cases, permanently formed. You see on the news, a group of youths on a street corner. How many times has this image been used in conjunction with a piece on youth violence and gang culture? Are the kids in the shot being violent? Are they taking drugs?

The upshot of this is what's known as a moral panic*. We are told that a young person, wearing a hooded sweatshirt, is more than likely about to either mug you or be on drugs/drink.

So what do you do?

Avoid them. Be scared of them. Cross over the road and glare at them suspiciously. Call the police and have them moved on.

Now think: What would you do if everyone around you treated you like that? Treated you like a criminal when all you are doing is hanging out with your mates in that particular spot because there's no-where else to go and nowt to do. You're going to think; '****'em. They treat me like scum, like a criminal, why disappoint them. Society doesnt want me so why should I care about society?'

I'm not about to say that all these kids are good, honest young folks that aren't actually the ****s that they are made out to be. I'm just saying; beware of what you believe in the media. There wouldn't be much money in stories of good teenagers who spend their time doing their homework or playing nicely in the park with their mates, now would there?

*Cohen, Stanley. (1980) Folk Devils & Moral Panics

You must live on a different planet to the rest of us.

joe-90 said:
You must live on a different planet to the rest of us.

Why don't you take the time to put across your opinion as to why he lives on a different planet to the rest of us?

Hasn't he seen how society has changed in recent years? Just where has he been living?

Sponsored Links
Back