Proteus BS5486 cartridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you still get these fuses . Need a 40 amp.

Attachments

• 20180131_124058.jpg
    20180131_124058.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 195
  • fuses.jpg
    fuses.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Not sure about the Proteus branded ones, but it appears from the photo to be a copy of the Wylex standard range, for which parts are still available. You'd need to double check for compatibility, but I suspect one of these would probably fit in it's place. (You'd need to change the green plastic base plate too)

http://www.neweyandeyre.co.uk/product/2500021220/Wylex-Cartridge-Fuse,-Standard-Range,-45A-

I think Proteus , Wylex are same company as I needed a Wylex NB40 and a Proteus was compatible.

I need a 40 amp in this type though ?

I think Proteus , Wylex are same company as I needed a Wylex NB40 and a Proteus was compatible.

I need a 40 amp in this type though ?

I need a 40 amp in this type though or even a 35amp ? Council put this shower in, 7.5kw on a 45 amp breaker .

Sponsored Links
Proteus is indeed the "own brand" of CEF, but possibly not the actual manufacturer.

What I was suggesting is that the unit in question was either made by, or under license from, Wylex. Just as the Sector branded CUs from WF Senate are re-branded Wylex units, the Acel branded ones from Electric Center are actually Schneider, etc. etc.

Last edited:
8.5 KW shower

In which case, unless you already have 30mA RCD protection for the shower outside of that unit, you should really replace* that unit with one that does include 30mA RCD protection. Then spare parts for that unit would cease to be an issue.

*Or rather have it replaced, as that would be notifiable work.

In which case, unless you already have 30mA RCD protection for the shower outside of that unit, you should really replace* that unit with one that does include 30mA RCD protection. Then spare parts for that unit would cease to be an issue.

*Or rather have it replaced, as that would be notifiable work.
Ok Thanks I will check tomorrow. There is actually a 7.5kw shower in at moment. If there is a spare 32 amp on main consumer unit, which I think there might be as the immersion heater got took out years ago.

Then I take it putting the 7.5kw shower on main consumer unit on the 32amp breaker and making that shower unit obslete would also be ok ?

Ok Thanks I will check tomorrow. There is actually a 7.5kw shower in at moment. If there is a spare 32 amp on main consumer unit, which I think there might be as the immersion heater got took out years ago.

Then I take it putting the 7.5kw shower on main consumer unit on the 32amp breaker and making that shower unit obslete would also be ok ?

IF the the 32A MCB on the main consumer unit is under 30mA RCD protection then electrically yes, although I would consider such a change to be notifiable. There may be some debate over the requirement to notify though.

If there is a spare 32 amp on main consumer unit, which I think there might be as the immersion heater got took out years ago.
It's more likely that the immersion was on a 16a or 20a circuit.
Strictly speaking, only OK if the 7.5kW is quoted for 240v (in which case it would draw a little below 32A at 230v). As has been said, it needs RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John

It's more likely that the immersion was on a 16a or 20a circuit.
Strictly speaking, only OK if the 7.5kW is quoted for 240v (in which case it would draw a little below 32A at 230v). As has been said, it needs RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John
Thansk John, If immersion is 16amp or 20amp then I could replace fuse on main board to a 32 amp then it will be on main board with RCD protection.

I will ahve to check make of board tomorrow.

Thansk John, If immersion is 16amp or 20amp then I could replace fuse on main board to a 32 amp then it will be on main board with RCD protection.
You could, but as Robin has said, that 'alteration of a circuit supplying a bathroom' would probably be notifiable, and some would probably consider it a 'new circuit' (which would be notifiable no matter what room it served).

Kind regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back