Proteus BS5486 cartridge

Sponsored Links
Currently shower is connected to this with 10mm tails into consumer unit.

The consumer unit has a RCD on but I take it this shower is not protected by a RCD as it connented directly to main feeds ?

If so, would it make more sense to just change this to a shower consumer unit with a 40 amp fuse and a separate RCD ?

Attachments

• 20180131_124058.jpg
    20180131_124058.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 97
One thing puzzling me: BS5486 does not apply to fuses, but to switchgear.
Further, it does not appear in my green book.

One thing puzzling me: BS5486 does not apply to fuses, but to switchgear.
Further, it does not appear in my green book.

Sorry do not understand. Which doesn' apply ?

It seems BS 5486 is obsoete but how does this relate to my situation?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
He is pointing out that BS5486 is not a standard covering fuses themselves (rather its a standard covering various types of switchgear), so your OP doesn't make a lot of sense. There is no such thing as a "BS5486 Cartridge" The thing in your hand is a 45A BS3036 re-wireable fuse which fits your specific fuseboard (which along with many others, and other types of switchgear at the time, was manufacturered to the requirements of BS5486)

It might seem pernitity, but if you are trying to buy something, it helps to know what you are trying to find.

From what I can see, no one is listing any 30A cartridge fuse carriers (BS1361), Rewireable fuses (BS3036), however there are a number of MCBs (BS3871) for that board available on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371773491344 .

Note, you need to ensure that you buy one that comes with the base as well, also that a lot of wylex ones will come up, quite a lot say they are interchangeable, but as per further up this thread, one should always endevour to avoid mixing and matching, also bear in mind that if you google something like "Proteus BS1361 30A carrier" a lot of what comes up is din rail mount carriers intended for a later generation of proteus boards which do not have a hope in hell of fitting what you have.

This does NOT solve your RCD issue, however, so is probably not the recommended course of action

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for replys. Is it in the regs to have a RED on shower as this was installed by council. Or is it just good practice ?

Thanks for replys. Is it in the regs to have a RED on shower as this was installed by council. Or is it just good practice ?
In terms of the regs, any circuit supplying (or even 'passing through') a bathroom has to be RCD protected.

Kind Regards, John

In terms of the regs, any circuit supplying (or even 'passing through') a bathroom has to be RCD protected.

Kind Regards, John

Has this always been the case or was the regulations different 15 yrs ago ?

As the council installed this so seems wrong that they never protected with a RCD ?

Is it considered dangerous ? Is it advised to upgrade and necessary ?
In as much as the regulations are primarily about safety, one has to presume that those who write them are of the belief that RCD protection is now necessary in the interests of safety - although, as you have been told, that is a relatively recent requirement.

Intuitively, the combination of electricity and warm, wet, naked bodies is just about the most worrying situation (and hence perhaps the most deserving of RCD protection) although it would take extremely unusual circumstances for someone to be exposed to the electricity supplying a shower.

I imagine that most people would say that it is 'highly desirable' for an electric shower to be RCD protected. The corresponding requirement for even ceiling lights in a bathroom to be RCD protected is perhaps rather more difficult to justify.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back