pubs could open in April but no alcohol can be served

Some pressure groups would like to end the consumption of alcohol full stop. Others would have us smoking weed instead.

Sponsored Links
Finally the people of Britain will be able to go to the pub and order sparkling water without fearing other punters laughing at them.
A milestone has been reached.
Well done!

I've never had a problem with having soft drinks (Lime and Soda is my tipple) in a pub when driving. Very few derogatory remarks and all but one idiot have agreed when I tell them I'm the driver at that visit.
Local Skittles league has it agreed that the 'drivers' of visiting teams get free non-alocholic drinks match evenings.

I've never had a problem with having soft drinks (Lime and Soda is my tipple) in a pub when driving. Very few derogatory remarks and all but one idiot have agreed when I tell them I'm the driver at that visit.
Local Skittles league has it agreed that the 'drivers' of visiting teams get free non-alocholic drinks match evenings.
It was a tongue in cheek post :ROFLMAO:

Finally the people of Britain will be able to go to the pub and order sparkling water without fearing other punters laughing at them.
A milestone has been reached.
Well done!
Ordering Malibu and pineapple with an umbrella in is when the laughter starts.

Sponsored Links
Ordering Malibu and pineapple with an umbrella in is when the laughter starts.
This reminds me of our local now closed.
One day we finished a dusty job, passed by for a drink and there were some office people there.
All covered in dust we went to the bar and loudly asked for a Prosecco Martini with a green olive and cherry.
The landlord poured us two pints of Pride without batting an eyelid :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have to say non-alcoholic beer has come a long way in the last 20 years, some beers companies do their own version - it's quite drinkable now.

It was suggested that banning smoking would be damaging to the pub trade. It didn't happen.
Banning alcohol would not stop punters going out for social gatherings after such a long period of lockdown and I'm sure many would soon discover that they can enjoy a night out without getting 'smashed'.

It was suggested that banning smoking would be damaging to the pub trade. It didn't happen.
Banning alcohol would not stop punters going out for social gatherings after such a long period of lockdown and I'm sure many would soon discover that they can enjoy a night out without getting 'smashed'.
Fortunately I'm old enough not to live that long to see it.

Eh? Pub closures accelerated after the smoking ban, because many who liked a drink also liked to smoke. If they stop selling alcohol, how will they make money? People who don't want to drink alcohol in pubs should stay in Costa coffee because pubs aren't the right place for them.

I was a regular pub goer (before lockdown), where I had drinks but didn't leave the place 'smashed'. Well only the odd occasion. :confused:

Last edited:
I think the drink driving laws had a greater effect on pub closures than the no smoking laws.

I think the drink driving laws had a greater effect on pub closures than the no smoking laws.

That's not right, Himmy. Drink driving laws were introduced by Babs Castle in The 60s. I don't remember many pub closures between then and 2007 when the smoking ban came in. However, since 2007 pubs have been closing wholesale. Pub going started declining slightly from beginning of millenium, but the smoking ban greatly accelerated closures. Lockdown is the final straw.

Gone are the days of walking into any pub within your square mile at any time and find company.
Now these new age urban people crowd coffee shops on Friday and Saturday nights.
How many coffees can you drink???
And then at £3 for a small cup, without even getting ****ed.

Sponsored Links
Back