Pull Cord Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a 1 way pull cord switch; but when I went to fit it I discovered that there are too many wires in my current switch to fit into the new one. I also have an extractor fan that is connected to the same switch, but it hasn't worked for years.

There are two live wires that are connected by another live wire and two neutral or extractor fan wires. The earth wire is screwed into the metal box.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
My car wont start. Its diesel. Whats wrong with it?

We need more info.

How was the switch wired before? This is key. If you dont know, this will be difficult. You you have access to a multimeter?

Sorry, I did draw a diagram but I couldn't add it to my quiry. There is no need to for the nasty attitude, I'm not stupid, I just wanted some help; you could have simply ask for more information.

_____________------------
_____________l..............l
_____________l..L.......N..l
____.Live In___l..O......O..l___Neutral or Fan In
_____________l..L.......N..l
___.Live Out___l..O......O..l___Neutral or Fan Out
_____________------------

This is my attempt at drawing the current switch using letters insted of paint; my other diagram was much better and in colour. The two live wires are conected by another live wire.

mrscjsanchez said:
I recently bought a 1 way pull cord switch; but when I went to fit it I discovered that there are too many wires in my current switch to fit into the new one. I also have an extractor fan that is connected to the same switch, but it hasn't worked for years.

There are two live wires that are connected by another live wire and two neutral or extractor fan wires. The earth wire is screwed into the metal box.

I'm finding it hard to make anything out from your diagram due to the way my browser seems to format the ASCII art. Any chance you could take a picture and upload it somewhere like imageshack?

Also, you say there are two 'neutrals'. Are they certainly neutrals, or are you just assuming this on account of them being black wires?

EDIT: Studying your diagram a little closer, it looks like your old switch is double pole. This would explain why you're a little stuck trying to wire into a (presumably) single gang 1 way pullcord.

Is the old switch a DP shower isolator? Can you take a picture of it? If so, you would be best simply buying an identical double pole pullcord to replace it.

Sponsored Links
I can't understand why on what appears to be a DP switch there would be a link across one of the contacts. One would assume that removing the short red link wire and putting the two reds into a terminal block while switching the two blacks with your new pullcord would achieve the same affect as your current setup. Are those L and N markings actually present on the existing swith?

That aside, I'd be a little worried that both arrangements might be switching the neutral conductor and keeping the light fitting permanently live. What is the wiring like at the light fitting and extractor fan?

[/url]

[URL=http://img255.imageshack.us/my...eshack.us/img255/3603/pics040jg5.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://img255.imageshack.us/my...eshack.us/img255/7628/pics035cb0.th.jpg[/img][/url]

I've come to the conclusion that the white/gray wires must be for the extractor fan and the red wires are for the light. The neutral isn't connected to the switch, it runs strait through; and the earth is wired in to the metal box.

You are right about the old switch being a 16amp DP switch; do you think I can still use the new one if I isolate the wires for the fan? It hasn't worked in 3 years and we are due for a new one.

Photo hint: for close up shots use MACRO focus. I'm sure your kodak has this function.

Whatever the red wire fed, it would be permenantly live.

:(

The old switch is not working now; and neither is the new one; the light just won't come on. Considering that the switch has not been changed since this flat was built in the 70's I'm surprised its lasted this long.

Try as you have suggested and isolate the fan for the time being. Fingers crossed disturbing the wiring hasn't caused anything above that backbox in the ceiling to work its way loose!

I've isolated the fan, but still no joy :(

It's sods law that what I thought would be a simple change over of a switch turns into something so complex. I've rewired plenty of sockets and light fittings over the years but the one room in my flat that has no natural light is the one that I get stuck on. :oops:

I'll have one more go at it when I get home from work and if I still have no joy, I think it will be time to call in a professional.

Thank you for all your help electronicsuk :D

Eureka! I have discovered it! :idea:

This is how my switch should look.

In my case, it was a simple matter of isolating the two wires for the broken extractor fan and wiring the remaining wires into the 1 way switch to give power to the light :rolleyes: :D However, I did ask someone with a bit more experience before I tried this out. Better safe then sorry ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back