PVC frame repair, any fillers available ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have some damage to a quite new window frame (see pic below) and wondered if any of you guys have had anything to do with fixing such damage.
A Scaffolding tube fell and hit the window scratching the window pane and gouging the frame.

The scratch on the glass is quite deep so I think it maybe best to replace the pane rather than to mess on trying to get the scratch out, unless you know different?

The gouge is the bit that is bothering me....it's about 10mm long and 5mm high, it's probably about 1-2mm deep.

I could probably flat it out with wet & dry paper but this would alter the profile of the frame so I was thinking along the lines of smoothing the gouge down somehow and then using a filler to bring it back up to just above level, then sanding it back to level with 1200 grit wet & dry, finishing it off with a slight abrasive polish like T-Cut or similar.

But I'm stuck as I can't seem to find any fillers for PVC, any idea what I could use to fill the gouge with and where to get it?

Thanks.

View media item 48085

Sponsored Links
I'm trained in smart repairs to upvc and the typical kit would include all 6 items in this link although we used a carbon fibre impregnated filler....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/tools-fixings/cosmetic-repair-supplies/

You can rebuild pvc easily with the above but whenever you use filler you'll need to spray paint as the filler is not white, this is where the training, practice and patience came in.

On something like your damage i would sand that out every day of the week, start with 80 grit wet n dry, get 90% of the scratch out, i would go about 4" either side of the scratch and then go 120, 240, 400, 600, 800 and finish off with 1200 grit, you won't even need to t-cut it either with 1200 although you can if you wish, then just a car polish to finish it off

Hi,
thanks for your reply & advice, shame we don't live closer to each other as you could have came and sorted it for me ;)

I've rang a few Glazing company's but none of them could recommend any one that repairs frames, they all just said that they would rather replace the window to guarantee customer satisfaction, I suppose I can see their point.

Even though the scaffolding company are footing the bill I'm reluctant to remove and replace the window if I can help it, it's a brand new extension and the window is only a few weeks old, I don't want to have to re drill all the fixings etc if I can help it, I guess I'm just trying to eliminate the possibility of any further damage if you see where I'm coming from.

I've done a bit of car body work / spray painting in my time so I've had a bit of experience of wet flatting and that, but I was worried that I may start to loose the profile / shape of the frame if I jumped in with the sanding process that why I was thinking along the lines of some sort of filler, this would mean that the sanding could be limited to just a little more than the the damaged area instead of having to sand beyond the damage to sort of feather it out.

Cheers.

half the visible damage will be displaced material sitting proud
i suggest you remove this first with a sharp chisel or stanley blade flat to the face carefully and gradually
avoid sawing action unless the chisel /blade is 100% flat and clean

Sponsored Links
the trouble with sanding is unclean scratches picking up dirt on the original surface

@ big-all,
plenty of soapy water on the wet & dry & rinsing the paper lots should keep that at bay

@ crank39,
No such luck mate, it's the main frame :(

Cheers.

funny enough my next suggestion was to hollow out the damage and see if the resultent reduction in visible damage would be ok without further action

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back