Quality downlight fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering what brand fittings the discerning professionals on here use?
I need 15 kitchen spotlights/downlights I've heard led are the best but would also like to use a medium to top quality reliable fitting. There are so many to choose from & most are probably Chinese dross.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
I need 15 kitchen spotlights/downlights
Do you need 15 lights in your kitchen because it's the size of the one in Buck House, or because they are so poor at actually lighting up rooms that you need to put in large numbers of them to try and compensate for their shortcomings?

Do you need 15 lights in your kitchen because it's the size of the one in Buck House, or because they are so poor at actually lighting up rooms that you need to put in large numbers of them to try and compensate for their shortcomings?
I was going to say, I have a fair size kitchen (2.6x5.2m) and find the 8 GU10 halogen downlighters in 2*4 array to be more than enough, all be it with them all having 50w bulbs in, and with the inherent issues of shadowing on the work tops that you get with downlighters.
Bathroom also has a similar density, but runs 35w bulbs as it was a bit garish with 50's, I had some 35's, and it uses a slightly less ridiculous amount of electricity.
Not my choice, but what came with the house, most of the rest of the rooms have been re-lit using a pair of 11w CFLs in rose fittings, paper shades.

Daniel

I was going to say, I have a fair size kitchen (2.6x5.2m) and find the 8 GU10 halogen downlighters in 2*4 array to be more than enough,
400W of lighting for 13.5m² of room?

You think that's a good design? I have a room twice that size with about ¼ the amount of lighting, and it's fine. Even allowing for the fact that it might not be bright enough for food preparation, or that the style of lighting might not work well in a kitchen, it sure as hell is not out by a factor of 8.

with the inherent issues of shadowing on the work tops that you get with downlighters.
So even with 400W-worth of lighting to try and mask the inherent unsuitability of recessed torches in the ceiling for lighting the room, they still don't work properly?

Not my choice, but what came with the house,
So why not change them?

Sponsored Links
You think that's a good design? ...why not change them?
No, its poo-pants design, totally toss, would never fit downlighters to a kitchen.

I plan to change them at some point, probably to a pair of led spot light bars, but I basically only weekly commute to the house and just haven't got around to it for the sake of half an hours use four nights a week.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le...M7Abg74GoCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=1019

###

To the OP, if you want downlighters, if you really want down lighers, I belive the Haler range are considered good quality LED items, but be sitting down when you find the price of 10 of them!

Failing that, look at the above link.

Daniel

any suggestions for quality down lights?
A fewer number of larger diameter ones - there's nothing wrong with recessed lighting per se, but 2" dia ones are pretty carp.

This sort of thing works very well

new-pl-downlight.jpg

Or you could look at LED panel lights.

Problem is though, with any change to the number of lights, you've then got to repair all the defunct holes. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back