Quality PAT testing.

Sponsored Links
The plugtop (that's a trade term for the complete plug) in the picture is not the type with a window to check the fuse size. This is an old MK plugtop (that's a trade term for the complete plug) - these particular ones did, however, have a hole in the top where the earth pin is - something new plugtops (that's a trade term for complete plugs) just do not have nowadays.
Be it plug top, plug socket, or some other daft phrase we all know it's wrong but we also know what is mean by it, so no real problem. Now calling a bulb a lamp is very different, it depends on the branch of the electrical trade, however in some sections a lamp is the whole thing, and inside the lamp you can have a wick, mantle or bulb so wrong term means you get wrong item.

As to what to pass with inspection and testing of in service electrical equipment I much prefer in house testing where as the tester you can replace things like plugs and fuses as you are testing, I would start up with a load of 3 amp and finish with a load of 13 amp fuses.

I for a few jobs had the then top of range Robin tester, recorded results on a floppy disk, I timed the test and it was slow, doing a self test first before it even started, and I realised in an 8 hour day one was pushed to do 50 items if you had to take tester to the item rather than item to tester, but firms at that time were offering tests at under £2 per item that would mean running at a loss on my wages, so it was clear some cheating was done. And I suspect still is?

But proving it is another matter, as the manager it must be clear if some one tests 200 items a day they are cheating, but would that be enough to prove it? As we all know the test is only good on the time of testing and so to show cheating one would need to follow the tester around, a flex degraded with oil takes time so we can clearly show error, but a chip off a plug could happen 5 minutes after testing, so one would need to plant devices that should fail in order to catch some one out, and that would be dangerous so you could be taken to court.

There are items I have found, a mag mount drill with no earth wire connected, but to be fair mag mount was class I but drill permanent connected to it was class II so can understand error.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ah, this should be good, what is it then? :D:cautious::D
In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment.

Let's be honest though: everyone refers to it as Portable Appliance Testing or PAT Testing. It's a bit silly getting upset by the term - even if not strictly accurate.

I seem to remember portable has a weight limit or wheels, there is nothing really to stop the inspecting and testing to be split between different testers, however portable seems an odd split, we split between plugged in appliances and others, simply as it needs different test equipment. So did not matter if the fridge/freezer was over the weight, it had a plug so was tested.

However it does present a problem, to test a frost free freezer there are two ways, one test long enough for it to go through a defrost cycle, two remove some covers to get direct access, in real terms we will likely do neither, since we have not tested the defrost system we can't be sure it's OK, so there is another channel open, the maintenance contract, this would move the responsibility to those charged with maintaining the equipment.

But test neutral to earth and in the main you will find any faults, I would on going into room turn all fridge/freezers off so when testing likely they would be on the run cycle.

Washing machine often on wheels so is classed as portable is another problem device, to test all the items within the appliance it would need to complete the cycle, how can one sign to say leakage current is under the valve required if not tested, only real way would be a 5 mA RCD on a plug and socket and let it run a cycle and see if it trips.

But to refuse to test some thing because it's hard to test is also not really the answer, so test loop impedance at socket and operation of RCD and test earth continuity and in real terms you know it's safe, but testing the socket is part of the EICR not PAT testing.

And this is the problem, one guy sent to do the EICR says the hand drier in the loo is an appliance so not part of his remit, and the guy sent to test in service appliances says it's not portable so not part of his remit either, so ITOISEE maybe a better name inspection and testing of in service electrical equipment, but we moved from PIR to EICR and PIR did not say "Installation" it was "inspection" so a PIR could cover the hand drier, the EICR does not.

Not sure I like the acronym, remember RADAR being given as the example, where two letters are from on word so Radio direction and ranging, so yes the is a problem with PATesting, or having a CD disc it would be a C disc and CD means core diplomat anyway. So maybe not PC (is that political correct, police constable or portable computer or a trade name held by IBM) but we all know what PAT testing is and we actually call it Pat not P.A.T. so it's an acronym not initials of works so Pat testing is correct.

There is an 18kg weight limit however that's only going to affect the classification of an appliance, not whether it needs testing or not.
The "portable" was dropped a long time ago although the name still sticks with people.

We have a stand drill at work, hard wired into a isolation/switch box, speed controller and foot pedal arrangement made by the boss - I doubt that the power has been removed & isolated while the whole thing was IR tested etc.
Yet it has a label on saying it was tested.

Hand dryers are something that we should test too, however we need to either be competent or get someone who is - to isolate them.

Either way, does not matter whatever it is, if its using Electricity it needs testing - how and when are the question.

In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment.

Let's be honest though: everyone refers to it as Portable Appliance Testing or PAT Testing. It's a bit silly getting upset by the term - even if not strictly accurate.
No ones upset but does cause confusion, I tested a joiners shop the other week, after I finished the portable tools I asked the manager about the lathes & morticers, he said I thought it was only portable stuff with plugs on, why is it called PAT testing then?

I would start up with a load of 3 amp and finish with a load of 13 amp fuses.

As you know the fuse is to protect the cable not what is on the end of it. Did you really have loads of equipment with cables so small 3 amp fuses were required?

As you know the fuse is to protect the cable not what is on the end of it. Did you really have loads of equipment with cables so small 3 amp fuses were required?
Yes you would not believe how many fig 8 leads rated 2.5 amp have 13 amp fuses in, clearly from days when they did not come with plug fitted, and it does ask the question what happened with last PAT test?

Yes you would not believe how many fig 8 leads rated 2.5 amp have 13 amp fuses in, clearly from days when they did not come with plug fitted, and it does ask the question what happened with last PAT test?

Strange. Those same cables are also manufactured with 2 amp rated moulded Europlugs that plug into 16 amp circuits with apparently no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back