Question regarding upgrading Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm looking to upgrade some regular old radiators ( 7 in total). The replacements are larger modern radiators. Two would be approximately 1600mm long by 600mm wide to hang on the wall. I've attached an image of old white radiator style and new radiator style (Grey) to give you idea of what I'm talking about.

I spoke to someone recently who told me you have to be careful when replacing smaller radiators with larger radiators as the boiler needs to be powerful enough to cope with the larger radiators. Is this the case?

And if this is important how would I calculate if my boiler is powerful enough to accommodate these larger radiators? Just slightly concerned the larger radiators may cause a problem if my boiler isn't powerful enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 5e094840-5f81-4226-a33f-ab04012a5147.jpg
    5e094840-5f81-4226-a33f-ab04012a5147.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 20191116_180434.jpg
    20191116_180434.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Compare the sum of your radiators total output with the boiler output. Then compare it with the heat loss.

Also be aware at how vertical tubular rads heat the space if your changing them all. Modern radiant tubular radiators aren't as effective at heating up larger spaces than convection type rads.

Cant count how many times I've been called back to change tall tubular rads to normal convection types, as they created too many cold spots.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback. How can I measure output of radiators?. I can find the boiler output but these radiators are 25 years old so no idea how to find out the spec. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back