Quotes for electrical work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. How much should I expect to pay to modernise the switches/circuit breakers, install a new spark box in the kitchen and to move the isolation switch above an electric cooker?

This is in a one bed first floor flat.

2. If I am planning to refurbish the kitchen in a couple of years is it worth leaving the above electrical work until then?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. How much should I expect to pay to modernise the switches/circuit breakers, install a new spark box in the kitchen and to move the isolation switch above an electric cooker?

This is in a one bed first floor flat.
Difficult to tell without seeing in real life.
How many circuits does the flat have?
2. If I am planning to refurbish the kitchen in a couple of years is it worth leaving the above electrical work until then?
If the kitchen is to be modernised and switches/sockets/outlets to be relocated. Then having the kitchen units out of the way and the plans for new kitchen would be advised.

There are four circuit breakers in the current consumer unit. The guy who was unable to fit my new cooker said there should be between 6 - 10.

There are four circuit breakers in the current consumer unit. The guy who was unable to fit my new cooker said there should be between 6 - 10.

4 is ample for a 1 bedroom flat. Cooker, lights, power, immersion.

Please post a photo of exsting consumer unit.

Sponsored Links

Does that mean you have four breakers and some breakers are protecting more than one circuit?

How many circuits would a one bedroom flat need?
Possibly:
1) Lights/Smokes
2) Sockets front room/bedroom
3) Kitchen sockets
4) Cooker (oven/hob)
5) Boiler/water heating circuit
6) Maybe wall panel heaters
7) Electric Shower

But very likely 4 circuits would do.

The guy who was unable to fit my new cooker
Why was he unable to fit it?

said there should be between 6 - 10.
Did he have any suggestions on how you might use that many?

He said he couldn't fit it mainly because the existing cooker is wired directly into the wall. Apparently that's why I need a spark box in the kitchen.

He didn't exactly say why I needed 6 - 10 circuit breakers just that the current consumer unit is archaic. The cooker was from Currys and the installer works for Hotpoint.

Where (room) is the fuse board and metering set up?
Are you wanting to move CU/board to kitchen?

As you come in the front door you'll immediately go upstairs. The meter is on the wall on the right between the door and the stairs.

The kitchen refurb is still an idea. Still got a lot of saving to do. We'll only move the consumer unit if it's necessary.

So the reason behind your questions, is because who ever came to fit your cooker, say they cannot because of the fuse board?

What type of cooker are you installing?

They are probably talking out of their poop hole!

So the reason behind your questions, is because who ever came to fit your cooker, say they cannot because of the fuse board?

What type of cooker are you installing?

They are probably talking out of their poop hole!

I think the main reason was because of the existing cabling going directly into the wall. The new cooker is electric only, 50cm wide , ceramic hob, double oven. From what he said the circuit breakers seem to be a secondary problem, but still a matter of safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back